Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-10-2010   #11
Same article here:
Steamboat Today: Michael J. Mitchell: Colorado’s rivers

robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #12
That same article is making it's rounds:
Unlimited rafting poses a threat to aquatic wildlife | GJSentinel.com
Michael Mitchell American Fisheries Society unregulated floating of Colorado rivers - Google Search
Are Colorado's rivers really highways? - The Denver Post

Old 05-10-2010   #13
It just occurred to me, this guy's article sounds like one of those "paid" expert testimonials.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #14
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Why the animosity between boaters and fisherman? Couple weeks ago I passed some fisherman who literally cast RIGHT in front of me, I was tripping out for a few seconds when it looked like his line was going to go over my deck instead of under and I was concerned about being hooked. Luckily the line went under my bow, I was as far right in the channel as I could be. I chalked it up to them being a-holes.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #15
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Make sure and remind everybody in your responses who Mike Mitchell REALLY is. He owns Queen of the River fish company of Longmont. he is a fisheries consultant consulting private land owners with fisheries on their property. He points out that he is a fisheries biologist, but he leaves out the fact that he is in the hire of many of the opponents of HB1188. He has a large financial stake in keeping our waters under private little thiefdoms.

What a weasel.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #16
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
What would colorado do without the river revenue? He uses the A leads to B leads to C argument to specify how damaging floating is but...Well without revenue from the tourists you have a LOT of out of work individuals, lost taxes from tourism, lost monies which are used to improve the highways he travels on to get to work and without such he can't work?....Wait did I just use the A-B-C argument to determine how floating the river provides him with a job? I'm confused!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #17
Maybe it's a coincidence, but there is a Mike Mitchell on the Colorado Farm Bureau Board:
Colorado Farm Bureau
Old 05-10-2010   #18
If anyone wants to see what can happen when fishermen and boaters get together, check out the montana river access law Stream Access Law . It would be huge to have that kind of access for both boaters and fishermen in Colorado, and the Montana law was mostly passed through the efforts of fishermen. I think the best chance we have to get a decent access law here in Colorado is to team up with the vast majority of fishermen that don't have the money to fish private ranches and support a law that would benefit both groups.
td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #19
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
TD and redneck have hit the nail on the head.

Most of these people don't care if we float through their property. They do care if we float through and catch the fish they are charging others to access. Many of them have re-shaped and stocked their segments of stream to be able to charge lots of money on a per rod basis for access to the river. While our interest of access are interrelated, the impact of taking a dory through and floating through in a kayak are very different. This bill is a political landmine. The politicians will awake a sleeping giant when sections of the Colorado, Arkansas, Gunnison, etc are suddenly closed off after land owners are empowered by this bill. Access to this resource (Rivers) will be limited to an elite class within 300 yard segments of property lines. All I can say to the politicians is be careful what you ask for.

The citizens of each town in which these articles are published should be writing the editor and asking how they could publish propaganda from a paid source as news?
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #20
The publications listed here are free local rags and in my opinion don't carry much credibility. This is not to say that I don't read them or use them on a regualr basis in these specific areas. I wouldn't lend to much to any of them except to find out what specials might be going on at local bars and restaurants and any other specific local dealings. That guy might have even paid to put the article in those publications as a sort of advertisement. It definitely seems to me that it is another attempt to divide river users. I know plenty of fly fishermen and they want what paddlers want, access.

brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote

colorado river