Old 04-23-2007   #1
Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 04
Send a message via AIM to rklein Send a message via MSN to rklein
Arkansas Valley Guides

Hey guys, I'm pretty familiar with the BV/Salida area but know next to nothing about the raft companies and such. A guy I work with is looking to take his daughter and two sons up to BV for a few days in mid June. He's thinking of doing a browns canyon trip with Noah's Ark. But he also wants to do a guided day hike around the area also. I confirmed that browns would be a fun day trip but didnt know the reputation of any of the companies, and also didnt know anything about guided hikes. Can anyone recommend activities to do around the area to fill up a couple days? Any info on guides , etc. would be appreciated.

"There's a strange sense of pleasure being beat to hell by a storm when you're on a ship that is not going to sink."
rklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
I would have to say I am a little partial to Kodi Rafting. They have always been very respectable when we cross paths on browns and all of their guides seem to be very well trained. They have an office in Frisco and Johnsons Village near BV.
As far as recreation around BV/Salida. Take your pick. 14'ers every where, good mountain biking around Poncha Springs, fishing at twin lakes and on the ark. I dont think they would have a hard time finding something to do. As far as non river guides, I have no suggestions for you.

Good luck,

crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Nothing like a drive-in movie at the Commanche in BV to end your day. The hot springs pool at Mt. Princeton seems to work for most ages. A little pricey, but nice.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #4
Noah's Ark also does guided day hikes, if you call them up I'm sure they would fill you in on the details. As far as rafting goes, they do a good job, are pretty safety conscious, and have guides that work well with kids. And I second the hot springs, a great way to end the day after getting soaked in cold river water.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #5
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
River Guides

I'd go with Kodi as well. I was a guide for them for the 2004 season. They had an awesome 2 week training program, with an Advanced Whitewater Training that almost all guides went through. The owner Campi really does strive to be the best out there, all about saftey.
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
There are a lot of good companies on the Ark, and some not so good. It really depends on your guide as much as anything else. Different companies cater to different types of clients as well. I've also heard some good things about Kodi, but I wouldn't send my friends or family with someone that has only had 'two weeks' of training. I've been a guide for a number of years and I'd be happy to help you find a company that meets your friends' expectation. PM me if you have any questions, don't want to offend anyone in the public forum.
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #7
river guide
performance tours is my vote. Colorado Whitewater Rafting - white water raft trips in colorado
mgloeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #8
B.V., Colorado
The Adventure Company

You get what you pay for! Quality,Experience,Great Food...check us out.

Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas