Old 09-19-2010   #1
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Arkansas (the state) rivers in October?

I am visiting my folks just north of Little Rock the middle of October and wondered if there is anything running near there and around then. Easy is fine as I am taking a board and a boat. Any ideas on water nearby?

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Its all rain feed so if it rains I think there should be some stuff to do. Post on: Message Board | Missouri Whitewater Association they will have more info hopefully.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #3
Fayetteville, AR and Banks, Idaho
Everything depends heavily on rain, even the easy more reliable runs. Hopefully at the very least the Mulberry and Big Piney will have water for you to float, they are scenic runs with large watersheds that will hold for days to weeks. Steep creeks are primarily west to northwest to north of Little Rock, they will need a couple of inches, and you at them in generally no longer than 6 hours (if it stops raining). There are some awesome creeks from IV to V hidden in the hills of the Ozarks though, unfortunately they are hard to catch and require a big event. A good middle ground that is a potential if we only get decent rain while you are here is Richland Creek, it is fun Class III-III+ creeking with some good boofs, and does not need as much as other Ozark creeks and will generally hold for a day or two (depending on the season).

Check out the Arkansas Canoe Club message board at - Index page to hook up with people and the Ozark Whitewater Pages site for beta at The Ozark Whitewater Page: Paddling In Arkansas And Missouri

The most reliable gauge correlations can be found at Ozark Creek Information Summary

Lots of boaters in the Little Rock area (and Arkansas in general), so finding people to boat with shouldn't be a problem. Good luck, hope you catch some elusive Arkansas creeking.

- Matt
FarPastGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #4
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Hey Hobie,

Yeah I just moved to the Maumel area (NW LR) from Greeley and if something is on I'll be happy to take you.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas