Old 01-23-2009   #11
Very cool video.

Would you rather have 4000 cfs for a short time or 1000 cfs for a long time?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I would rather have 8000 for a week and 1000 the rest of the season, thank you kindly.

In 95 it built up for about 2 months and peaked for a week. Then it was 700 for the rest of the season which worked out fine. Hence I was a little disappointed it peaked where it did this past summer. Not that it was a bad year, I just expected a higher peak. There was good peaks back in the 80's too, but I was not around back then.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #13
The next zone, .
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
Because the front range SUCKS!

Seriously, Otero pump station came on line in 67. Ever since then the front range tries to suck as much as they can from the western slope to the eastern slope. That and Turquoise Lake came to be in it's present form in 62 with Sugar Loaf Dam built around that time. Sadly, the big flows are firmly in the past, unless we get a huge year.
Yea great vid. Thanks for sharing. Now that is ark history - a bunch of rednecks gettin her done!! And dont try and tell me that saliver was not redneck in the 40's... Gotta love the 40's ark stoke!!!

The good old front range range does suck - and not just water! Hell I dont want to give you a hard time - as most of you guys are startin your drive up I70 right now..... Just to ski in summit co. I will never figure some things out!

Oh wait now we will get to hear how it is it the evil "rancher and farmer" who takes all the water... Or that denver water has some super sweet marketing plan that will tell "rangers" what they want to hear and believe.. (Kinda like how nike made about a billion on marketin that the jordan sneakers would make rich white kids faster and jump higher!!!)...

Flat out if you are a boater and like to boat on water you should see denver, aurora, and co springs water as EVIL.. I have said it before and it is why the glade project should come on line. Then bring back 3 forks dam and if needed put a big dam at the bottom of clear creek... Maybe if the "ranger" masses see these front range rivers run totally dry then it will sink in but I doubt it.

Trust me it will take more than some slick marketing to trick us up here... Well for the 2nd and 3rd time! Some of us know, have seen, and have lived with the fact that many or most - yes most of your ranger peers would dam or drain these rivers til they are gone.... Still not sure or I will never see how some down on the "range" choose to defend these current actions or the actions of the past... Well I guess I choose to defend cheney - and he is not even as close to true evil as front range water!!!

With that said....... Hell the Aspen valley has way more to be pissed about than us!! At least we get 1500 - 2200cfs and IMO the best and only high water creekin here in colorado - up on lake for about a month! Too bad only a handfull of floks take advantage until it is down to a boring 300 - 400 cfs...
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #14
pnw, Washington
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
June 19, 1949...4000 cfs in Salida. A good day to be on the river.
Seems to me it was close to 4k on that day last year.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #15
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Consistency...that's what I miss. Yup, last year was great.....but I remember flows like that almost every year when I was a pup learning on the oars. Maybe it just seemed big cause I was a kid.....

Probably just looked bigger in the vid because the bridges were so LOW.

I can't find historic peak flow graphs....where are you guys finding that stuff? I've checked the USGS site and can't seem to navigate to what I'm looking for. What were the peak flows from about '78 to '88????
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #16
Indian Hills, Colorado
It's been really dry during the past 8 years. Historically dry. That's the primary reason flows on the Ark have been low. Not front range, not farmers, just a simple lack of precip. "But that's just, like, my opinion, man"

Flows at Salida on calender year 1910 to 2008:

flow data from here: (click under tabular data)
Detail Graph
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #17
160 cfs equals:

9,600 cf/minute
576,000 cf/hr
13,824,000 cf/day
5,045,760,000 cf/ year

Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #18
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
That is a great movie, thanks for posting.

Rowboat carnage was awesome!
TimberTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #19
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
That is a great video thanks for posting it.

Snowwhere I am not sure how much you drank during 95 because it peaked twice and without checking my logs I am pretty sure it was running over a grand into september.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #20
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
LOL! I drank plenty then. I made enough money in March that allowed me to take the spring/summer off and I was a kayak bum. There was plenty of drinking involved and all the details are a little fuzzy, but the bottom line it was a epic year. Great days on the Taylor, Slate, the Ark, Poudre and Clear Creek back then. Even Grape creek was running big in 95. I also got good days up north on the Gros Ventre and Greys during the natural runoff. All you single guys and girls, with no responsibilities, you gotta travel large while you still can!

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas