Old 03-03-2010   #1
Arkansas Quadruple Crown

heres an idea for a sweet fundraiser or whatever, ( I wish i had the will and/or the money to make it happen)...
The Arkansas River Quadruple Crown of freestyle....
During high water, host a fundraising, freestyle event every weekend starting in BV, next weekend in Salida, than in Canon city's new play park, and finally in Pueblo.
Someone make it happen! What do the buzzards think?
(and if you do it, make it for a good cause....)

willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #2
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
That's a GREAT idea!! Why not do it for First Descents? There's the "Vertical Challenge" which is always successful....but it doesn't necessarily cater to the playboaters......this could be the playboaters version.

For the past three years we've done an FD event at the Pueblo park with really good success (we raised enough money to send 14 people to camp), if the "The Quadruple Crown" could become reality, we could draw a bigger crowd from the state, I think it would be a great thing for FD....and raise a bunch of cash. AND a great event to kick off the Canon park.

I've been moderately involved with the planning of Pueblo's event, I'd be happy to get in touch with a couple peeps to generate some interest.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #3
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I would help with the Canon City event. Hey Willy when are you going to be back in town?
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #4
Good idea. A challenge would be fitting within all of the other river events going on in the state, and not taking the fire away from other festivals going on at the same time - the Ark get a lot of visitation and other watersheds need some love too. The Ark has Paddlefest in BV and Fibark in Salida - those two events could be incorporated into an Ark quad series, which would be alot of fun. Maybe the series could be spread out to keep competitors in the state longer - P-Fest and Fibark early season at their normal times and Canon/Pueblo later in the season to wrap us the series since they hold water later than Vail, Clear Creek, Golden, Gunnison, Steamboat, Duranmgo, etc... all of which have festivals within the same 1.5 to 2 months. Contact Jimmy Whiteside at RGR in Canon - he'd probably help down there.
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The recreation department here in Canon has been doing a "build your own boat race and river walk games" event for the past couple of years. That is planed for the weekend of June 25th (I think). I dont know if they have anything planned to incorperate the new white water park into this yearrs event. Here is the link to the rec distict site
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #6
Boatin', Colorado
There is a WW fest being planned for the Canon City area this summer. From what I understand the CC Rec festivities will be incorporated into this, sometime shortly after FIBARK I believe. I'm sure more will be posted as info is finalized.

Peev is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas