Arkansas fkows - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2016   #1

Taos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 12
Arkansas fkows

Seems a little early for low flows. Especially after a good winter. Any word if any increase in near future?...

love2boat29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Bump!
I would love to know how anyone forecasts ark flows.
Any relative basin forecasts?
Dam operations?
Major tributary upstream gauges?
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #3

Taos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 12
I know, huh? Myself and later others went into Arkansas Headwaters to see if we could get any answers.
We were told at least 100 cfs was released which we were pretty excited about.
Well....haven't seen it yet.
Maybe tomorrow, lol
love2boat29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The 100 cfs is from Clear Creek Reservoir and started this morning. That's why the Nathrop gauge is throbbing up to 750. It's huge right now.

Generally we see 700 at Wellsville until August 15, then 350ish for a few weeks. If it rains it might come up a bit. If it doesn't rain folks might call for water and it might come up a bit. It might not.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #5

SW, Colorado
Sorry to beat this dead horse, but...

Does anyone or everyone but me know if this downward trend is likely to continue?

Would love to come out to the Ark this wknd, but with flows down to 660, the level is now a little low on my all purpose Ark-fun-meter.

Anyone gots the scoop?
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Well I can't tell you exactly what the dam controllers plans are, but Ark flows will stay low from hear on out, barring some major rain fall. I may be mistaken on the cfs, but we should have 750? going into the Gorge till August 15th, when things tend to drop to native flows, more or less, till spring. ( Some times they get all crazy and transfer a little water to the pueblo res during winter)
Low is kinda relative for the Arkansas, back in '02 we saw a peak of about 600, with 200-300 for the season.
Old 07-27-2016   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Low water Ark is still better then a good day of work though! Bring the bug spray if ya camp, skeeters have been kinda vicious.
Old 07-28-2016   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by fella View Post
Sorry to beat this dead horse, but...

Does anyone or everyone but me know if this downward trend is likely to continue?

Would love to come out to the Ark this wknd, but with flows down to 660, the level is now a little low on my all purpose Ark-fun-meter.

Anyone gots the scoop?
Read my post from a week ago - it's the one right before yours. It's still true. Pine Creek is awesome at this flow.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #9
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Ark flows

Looks like its coming dn, why don't they move water now instead of in the dead of winter. At least pulse it with weekend releases. That would certainly be a more natural flow regime mimicking monsoon season.

Seems like commercial rafters and the communities in general would benefit more. I mean usually money talks and...
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #10

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Water movement in winter has nothing to do with rec purposes. Wish it would be moved like you say, but don't hold your breath. Used to see 700 at parkdale til labor day. From now on it will revert to native flows.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas