Old 02-15-2008   #21
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Splitting a small hair here, but...

Originally Posted by benpetri View Post
Now if the damn thing bursts, its going to be on the taxpayers dime to clean up.
Corporations don't ever really pay any taxes anyway. They just pass it on to their customers/clients...with a profit margin to boot. So taxing corps actually just increases the burden to the public. No fan of taxes either way.

In general, this doesn't sound good, but we will just have to watch and see, maybe it will end up being hype and this will be the call to action that could resolve it before something really bad happens in the future. Perhaps it will give congress something to do besides their nationally important role in sports drug use.

Yakrafter '12

yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #22
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Lead Vegas flood

I lived in Leadville for quite a while and many people positively hate the EPA. Last mayoral election, all 5 candidates saw the presence of the EPA as an embarrassing problem for Leadville. With hillbilly trash like that running the show, it's no surprise that nothing has been done. I feel sorry for Jeff Foley and his posse because if this thing bursts he's going to have to get out there and save the day. Like he said, it's probably beyond their capabilities.

Maybe congress does need to declare it a superfund and stop wasting their time with steroids. I take HGH every day to get huge for rafting season. Then I take out my rage on the customers like I'm River Rat Ray!

I for one have always wanted to blast the dam on Lake Dillon. Liz Clairborne in the outlet mall would make a monster hole! If this thing bursts, I hope I can get there in time.... are toxic metals bad for hypalon?

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #23
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Leadville IS a superfund site. I'm pretty sure that the treatment system there was built with US EPA dollars. Awhile back the EPA did mitigation work on the tailings piles which included impermeable caps on the tailings so precipitation won't seep into them and leach out toxic metals into the streams. I heard a story that as part of the public participitation process the EPA asked the town how they wanted the tailings piles to be restored when they were finished. Options like grass cover, trees, and other, more pleasant landscapes lost out to the preferred appearance - the townpeople actually wanted them to look like barren toxic waste tailings piles.

It amazes me that the mining companys came in, squeezed out the profitable gold & trashed the place, then they laid off the miners and moved on to the next district where the profit margin was high. Now the residents have gotten so accustomed to living in a waste heap that they actually perfer it and don't even want it to look like its been cleaned up...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #24
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Maybe those witnesses in my Crisco story should have been from LEADVILLE not Gypsum[picked them randomly],

Crisco's Witnesses a new religious cult on the ARK?

cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas