Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
RDNEK is right about Aspen...

bailito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #12
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Rdneck is wrong

Rdneck is not right, Aspen is crowded, Highlands bowl sucks, so does the backcountry. It is all packed with gappers. In the summer the kayaking really blows. Do yourself's a favor and go to vail for skiing and confluence for kayaking.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #13
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Where can I get a hazmat suit for this spring? I'm not gonna let a little poison keep me off the numbers at 5 grand. Do gas masks work underwater?

Crisco is definately to blame. Artistic environmental espionage. Somehow it makes the project more appealing.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #14
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
now its here on the front page of

Eruption of tainted water could swamp Colorado town -
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #15
Yea, this smacks of sensationalistic reporting.

But, it also seems unresponsible to let that much water buiild up. It's going to come out eventually. Or, are they hoping it just seeps into the earth?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #16
Originally Posted by basil View Post
Yea, this smacks of sensationalistic reporting.

But, it also seems unresponsible to let that much water buiild up. It's going to come out eventually. Or, are they hoping it just seeps into the earth?
Sensationalistic? One billion gallons of toxic waste and you're calling it sensationalistic?

I wonder what it takes to become an understated story?

Maybe three-billion gallons (I guess you wouldn't know that I was talking like Dr. Evil.)
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
hook up some major relief valves that push it through filters that take out toxins and other bad chemicals than using same pressure through the system make a stationary wave for a year or 2 and let the clean water run back in the ark or retreat again.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #18
Do something about it

CNN? Whatever. Hear is some quality news reporting...(if you live in the valley you ought to be laughing now)...

Options presented for you problem solvers.

I was at the county yesterday when they freaked out about this. It is the potential of the runoff from the above average snowpack along with the new leak bypassing the filter system that is finally creating some action (if you call drafting a resolution an "action"). Whatever it takes them all to get off their arses. 6

For those who care about mining reform and water quality, take action you buzzards!
moshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #19
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I completely agree this is sensationalist crap at its best.
Is it a bad situation? you bet
But the truth of the matter is, this tunnel has been discharging "toxic" water for as long as its been there, and has been "plugged" by tunnel failure, not by the mighty BoR, but by pure happenstance. Its just the BoR that stepped in and built the treatment plant to lessen the impact of all the acid mine drainage.
I love how they are comparing this to Teton Dam, which was 300,000 acre-feet of water in a matter of minutes due to dam failure.
A quick, back of the envelope calc. shows that 1.5 billion gallons of water is just over 3,000 ac-ft, or roughly 1% of the volume of the Teton Dam failure. Not to mention that if the tunnel's blockage fails, it will likely still be very constricted by the tunnel itself, only letting a limited flow of water past, unlike a non-constricted dam failure...
Granted, the water might be nice and orange, killing most all aquatic life in its path.
I don't think this warrants a national response, just because there are 20-30 trailers right next to the outlet of this tunnel. News flash, that tunnel was there when they parked their homes there...
I don't like that this is going on, but the local government really ought to take more of the responsibility for this, and not push it off on us all.
What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook. HENRY DAVID THOREAU, Journal
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #20
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Yeah, like lake county is going to be able to come up with the tens of millions of dollars that it will take to deal with this mess. And thats still less than a tenth of the cost it would have if the damn thing ruptures. Picture this: Arkansas river closed due to public health concerns. That would put the rafting business out of business for the summer.

Fixing this should have been funded through superfund, not like that helps a whole lot because Superfund has been bankrupt for years now. It was supposed to be continually replenished by a tax imposed on the chemical, petroleum and other assorted heavy industries that are the most likely cuplrits to contaminate the environment (aside from the government of course). However, the tax expired several years ago, and of course neither Bush nor the Republicans in Congress at the time had any desire to renew it. Now if the damn thing bursts, its going to be on the taxpayers dime to clean up.

benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas