Old 02-20-2013   #21
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i drove through pinnacle rock monday and it all looked clear and good.....even the ice bridges in little north fork that were there friday were gone

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #22
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
I am so confused by this, how does moving water in the winter help fish? Wouldn't fish benefit more from a natural cycle of ultra low flows in the winter and then higher flows in the spring/summer?

What am I missing? Transplanted fish that don't like the natural cycle, is this what the fisherman are trying to "assist" with winter flows? How is high water in the spring (a natural cycle) bad?
No Jen. Trout go into a cycle of dormancy during winter, moving water over this period has almost no effect on them because they are hanging out in deep pools and barely feeding.

Wanted to let everyone know that last night's meeting went well. We had a good turnout and lots of information was provided. I think we had a productive discussion. I will update this thread with more details and a video later.... when I get some free time.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #23
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here is a 30 minute video from our meeting with Reed providing some good information and answering some questions:

and here is a breakdown of some of the conclusions we came to:

Greg Policky's recommendations are based on what ideal conditions are for the trout. A study done by the outfitters shows that optimal flow for whitewater recreation is 1200 cfs. The river should not be managed entirely to benefit one form of recreation over another. There should be compromise between ideal flows for fishing and ideal flows for boating.

It is understood that room has to be made in the storage vessels (reservoirs) for next season's incoming water (in a normal year), but our consensus is that this water should not be moved until a significant portion of the next season's snowpack has accumulated.

It is also our consensus that the water should be moved in the spring shoulder season (when possible) by keeping flows at the maximum recommended amount by the fishery (400 cfs) or close to it. Myself and other boaters understand that this is not always possible, and that in extremely dry years such as 2012 it wouldn't have made much difference on augmented flows. Although, when you start talking about the difference between 300 and 400 cfs for rafts in Browns Canyon it is fairly significant...

We believe a unified effort to show public support for these recommendations (or something similar) is in order. Possibilities at this point include a petition, emails to Leslie Tyson (private boater rep. and past CW president) that can be documented, as well as possibly soliciting letters from the Chaffee County Visitors Bureau, Chaffee County Commissioners, and local paddling clubs which can all be presented to the BOR by one contact person. Most likely Leslie.

Any comments and/or recommendations are appreciated, and I will continue to update this thread as things develop.

Thank you.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote