Old 06-10-2010   #51
Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
I suppose I shouldn't comment, being a noobie to CO, but I'm gonna. I had never run the gorge before so didn't know the lines or even the names of the rapids. The guys I were with were both long time veterans and knew all the lines so they just gave me verbal beta as we went down, although we did take a quick look at Sunshine. I had no idea the hole in Boateater was coming, or even existed, but simply followed one of my buddies right. He told me beforehand to follow him when he gave the high sign. After seeing the hole I was glad I was paying attention.

Tim, you got me on the boat, All Star beats a Superstar for being more squirrely. I will take a little credit for only having ever been in a Superstar once before. I've got you on age though. I'll be 53 next month. Maybe us old guys can paddle together sometime?

All in all, a really great run. I'm liking CO a lot so far!

Oh yes, Jon Kahn, one of the guys I was boating with, was there in '95 and he remembered 7k+ too. Must have been something.

Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #52
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Kyle, welcome to colorado. Unfortunately, like my buddy RobinJ you are pretty screwed and will never want to boat the ARK again, 800cfs will be like the longest day of your life.

It is fun at low flows, don't get me wrong, but the big water just puts a whole different perspective on it. Like us it sounds like you hit the lotto too! When we left Durango on Friday the ARK was barely medium! We figured it peaked a week prior.

I am still jazzed about my 4 days on your river! Stoked on meeting about 20 new solid kayakers too.

robin J has some video of us lapping into sidels by the way, he said he would post soon.

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #53
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
These last two weeks have been AWESOME!! The Jack Daniels tastes a whole lot better (if that's possible) after gutting every hole down the Ark. Face hurts from luaghing so much. Been a while since I've seen these levels and just wish they could stay.
maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #54
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
my buddy RobinJ took some helmet can of Brown's at ~4600cfs
this has canyon doors immaculate conception wave
rafts and kayaks gutting sidels
and other very, very fun footy, please enjoy...

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote