Old 03-29-2010   #1
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Arizona still goin off? Wanna Go Tomorrow?

JDHOG and I are about to commit to AZ leaving tomorrow (3/30) from Vail and returning Friday (2/2).

Any beta on how the water is treating boaters in in northern/central AZ. Also I would appreciate suggestions on what to run. We're looking to run VI and -V water anything goreish/gillmanish. I know the classics fossil and oak creek, but what else?

Would be great to get another one or two people to ride along if you wanna go. Or better yet if there is another group going down that would wanna hook up and run shuttle. Let me know 402-304-5233.

Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah
Chev and E. Clear

I posted this in an Az thread earler last year. might be work checking out for you guys if you have time down there and think they have good water right now.

smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #3
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
Chevelon is 400 looking steady for a few days at least with a rainstorm looming:0 East Clear Creek would be beautiful if not to big from possible rain?

The little C is 1300cfs at Cameron. Cameron down is IV+-V-VI? Let ME know.

There is a dirt route out just past the Tuba City(N) turnoff 1 mile, go left. Go east many miles until you see an obvious junction left(south). This will approach waterholes Canyon. Not the Page 500 ft rappel waterholes canyon but a rappel like hike to the Little C. But don't takeout on that one. Takeout the one -1 mile West canyon that's on-- Little C base jumping on Youtube. Cattle Canyon? It's not named on the map. It is approximately 25-30 miles from Cameron by river. Get a AZ Gazeteer to follow this thread. It is 1 1/2 miles to the river with a 2500 ft vertical drop? This is the takeout I speak of.

For a permit go to the Cameron junction Hogan(E) and pay 5$! If you are driving out the dirt road I speak of 15 miles or so and hit a sheer wall below you approximately 2500+ feet Thelma Louise style go back about 4 miles or so and go South. You will run into another Thelma and Louise style cliff hanger camp. If you go East 1/4 mile you will hit waterholes. If you go West 100 yards you will hit Cattle Canyon(the gospel). Camp will be amidst some boulders with water pockets on top of them you can bathe in and mountain lion scout about. If you want to takeout here(which I suggest as you will be nearing the Colorado river in 15 miles or less), run to the river and flag it because there's alot of side canyons and counting them in 30 miles might be daunting.

The water is super silty and will coat your eyeballs. Bring lots of eye drops or eye wash. Another AZ Epic! Experts only.

Woods Canyon is running now. Rattlesnake is running but may need a little rain. Pumphouse will be running in the rain. West Clear Creek will definitely boost in the rain. If it rains check the gauges closely as their is alot of snow ready to go:0

Be careful Send pictures.
moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Did you guys run anything good last week?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #5
Cody, Wyoming
Were heading that way thursday putting on Woods Canyon I think Friday. Can you give me some info on the run or direct me somewhere? I could give you a call too. Were looking for help with shuttle as well if anyone wants to join.

Aaron Mulkey
Think BIG
COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote