Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-26-2010   #31
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
Disappointing trip report?

Well, whitewater junkie, I hope you at least got to watch the Saints beat the Vikings while WE were merely running the Salt at 1500cfs. No TV down there in the sunny canyon on Sundays.

It was fun meeting yakkeranna at the top as evil Kenny and I drove up and they said "are you here to boat?" and Kenny says "If you're here to shuttle we are!" and the boating was on with no hiking required. Salt was fun- had my first swim in three years, easy clean up after my keeper hole let me out after somewhere between 30 seconds and an hour. And for some reason the roll didn't work after 4 trys-excuses are- water too cold, tired from unplanned side surf, first time in boat since Dec2nd, didn't drink enough the night before, etc. New rocks(like 2' size small boulder rocks) had fallen about 150' from where we parked the truck at the bottom of the shuttle while we were boating. That place is falling apart.

That afternoon Kenny and I went over to the Tonto and the next day(yesterday the 25th) did the lower box section. It was running somewhere around 700 to 1000 , the gauge does a weird jump from 248cfs to 1070 during the time we were there but I think something jammed it because at that time the Tonto was just dropping from the 12,700 cfs peak from the day before, from the 60k peak on the 22nd.

In any case, it was thoroughly enjoyable, and we were able to catch a local at the mailboxes at Jakes corner to run our shuttle for a slight fee. From shuttle to shuttle was 3 and a half hours. Weather was sunny, low 50's, One unintentional roll, and we never did see any of the trailers the local told me had washed down the canyon with the flood- or maybe the styrofoam panels and sleeping bag in the Rye creek drainage were trailer remnants. Definitely worth the trip.

sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #32
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
I agree, Sealion! We were definitely stoked to see you two pull up at the put-in, and good on you for hitting up the Tonto. It was definitely worth the drive for me to get down there and run something. Maybe we'll see you again on the river somewhere.

yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote