Old 02-05-2007   #1
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Arizona, Cibique ck

Just wondering about internals of the canyon in question. I have been there twice and missed it by a few hours each time (rain). Hopng I can catch it this year. Anyone have any beta on the drops and total length of run (time/miles)? Heard it gets juicy and ropes mandatory.
Also, does snowpack around tonto look good? Everything down there went up by 40% in the last three weeks and hoping it might go as well.
Thanks for any help. Johnny

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #2
What section are you talking about? Is there a section that is typically run? I've been checking out pictures of the creek on canyoneering websites and it has a few large drops, one looks to be about 50 ft or so. I don't know about the runnability of any of it, but the 50 footer looks pretty clean in pictures. Of course this is on reservation land where there is "no swimming allowed" and you have to get a permit to hike up the creek.

thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Does anyone have the websight to check snowpack levels in AZ? Looking for info on Mogollan Rim and Tonto drainage.

Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #4
dropzone, Colorado
surfgod - try googleing "arizona snotel data" and looking at the water equivalent products, you should be able to find the snowpack info no problem. glad you liked my bumpersticker photo, i need one for my ride.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #5
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
I have hiked up past the 4th waterfall years ago and it is an amazing canyon, I do know a guy that ran it in 96 and he took all day to run it and brought a 60m rope if I remember right.

The highest fall is around 40-50 ft and I don't think any of them are runnable to due shallow pools. I have seen pools one year 20 feet deep to come back the next season and have them only 6 inches. So definitaley scout everything and FYI it is illegal to be in the canyon as well.

have fun
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #6
Arizona Snow - Precipitation Update

The current Arizona Snow - Precipitation Report is available at:

For the Upper Salt River, the Hannagan, Baldy and Maverick Fork sites are the most pertinent (also, the snow water equivalent is more pertinent than the precipitation data).

Based on my research we're still one or two major storms away from a legitimate Salt River season. Keep your fingers crossed and pray for snow.
Wilderness Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007   #7
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Thanks guys! I too have been looking at canyoneering pictures and the last drop at the bottom looks great. it also looks like there are some very intense small drops in walled-in sections that may become holes at high water. Anyway it probably won't run so no big deal. Just curious.
Any stories would be good to hear though.
Taylor did you find it?
Google "snotel narrative" it will give you a quick overview of all the western states.
Thanks, Johnny

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote