Old 11-21-2011   #101
All over, The USA
Paddling Since: 1920
Interesting how this thread has changed. I originally started the thread because I was blown away that Bradt said he is willing to die for kayaking. No one really covered what that meant. Many people started talking about dying doing what you love and taking risks which is a fine topic but what does it me to die for kayaking? If I say I am willing to die for a loved one most would understand that could mean putting yourself in harms way to save the life of someone you love, right? So if I say I am willing to die for kayaking what the hell am I going to die for?! We are just kayakers. No one is trying to kill us or wipe us off this earth. My point is that he chose to use words that donít really make sense and they should have been corrected. Sure Iím an asshole but am I the only one that thinks Bradt threw this statement out there like he is Jesus freaking Christ and by his death we will all have everlasting boofs! Sure go ahead and die doing what you love and take risks. Just donít put yourself out there like your some kind of martyr.

Ok now go back to talking about whitewater philosophy, taking risks and the meaning of lifeÖ

asshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #102
Boulder, Colorado
you just were not listening to the first few posters that said they didn't take what he said the same way that you did or maybe he just choose his words wrong. What the hell does correct what he said mean? Of course ESPN is gonna use a statement like that, even if he said something clarifying it.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #103
If the question is: "Is this sport worth dying for?" The answer is No, no it is not. Even Shane Mc Conkey the most inspirational, legacy-leaving athlete of all time, has quietly faded from memory. Your legacy or accomplishments from your sport are tiny compared to how fun kids, family and a long life are.

If the question is: "Are you willing to die for this sport?" If you answer no to that when you are young and charging, you will never be one of the best kayakers out there and will likely be less safe because you will be sketchy.

Kayaking seems like the most important thing in the world while you are totally engrossed in it and have dedicated your life to it. It all seems quite silly when you are standing at the funeral. Actually the first athlete funeral I went to was for Trevor Peterson in Whistler, and his 5 year old kid Kye showed us a picture he drew of his dad on the river. Now Kye is a famous skier in his own right and his Dad never got to ski with him.

Most certainly not Worth it, but it just may be Necessary to reach that level.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote