Old 06-07-2007   #1
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Are you a member of American Whitewater?

With a bunch of upcoming events here in Colorado like Lyons and FiBark I wanted to remind paddlers to think about joining AW if they have not already. I know we say it all the time "Oh for sure, I need to join" and then it gets forgoten and a year passes by. Although I have been off the river with an injury I have been stoked this year that we in Colorado now have our own AW representative. Water battles and convservation will always be issues so lets join together to help. Sounds cliche' (dont know if I spelled that right) but together we can make a difference.
I know this is a random post but it seems we will all be celebrating the lifestyle and paddling over the next few weeks with these great events. If you are ready to join up, that would be awesome.
American Whitewater - Welcome to AW

AW athlete ambassador

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Absolutely. There really is no good excuse not to join. While the magazine is nice, you need to join to help the strenght in numbers. The folks at AW do so much for so little. If half of the buzz were dues paying members, they could really build some momentum. With this year's addition of our own CO river steward, they are set up to make some progress.

As Caspian would say: "join up suckas".

Hobie, thanks again to Dagger and Mike Mathers for putting on an informative training session. He really knows his field. I felt like folks from beginner to advanced walked away with some helpful information today. I highly reccomend taking his class.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #3
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Big thanks to Hobie, Dagger and Mike Mather for putting on the swiftwater rescue clinic today - talk about giving back to the paddling community, these folks did it big time.

I've boated for a long time, and though I expected to come out with a little more knowledge, but I came out with LOADS. If you paddle, you should do a SWR course, period. There were first-year boaters and people who had boated for a really long time, and everyone clearly was learning things, even those who have run their share of the gnar. I thought that years of boating combined with some reading and watching a couple safety videos, plus some real-life emergencies meant I knew enough about SWR. "Sure, I could know more, but I know a whole lot"...well, I learned that I can learn a great deal more still. Maybe I can set up a Z-drag, but after today, I will be able to set it up much more safely - and know how to unpin that boat faster without even using a Z-drag.

Big ups to Mather Rescue, too - Mike clearly knew his stuff - the hard skills and the subtle considerations of safety issues. Mike's teaching is top-notch and I plan to spend some money on his class in the future.

Haters diss the "big corporate" kayak companies but I don't hear them complaining when a company is giving back like this. Dagger seems to always be strong in support of building the sport and the boating community. 'Nuff respect, Dagger! And BTW - Hobie was not pushing Dagger at all - he was pushing AW - a class act for sure.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote

american whitewater