Old 11-14-2008   #51
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
The purists are pussies. Why? (like you really care) Because they're not really purists.

They're just pompous posers...

As I've had to explain before, if you think your kayak or canoe is the real shit then you must either have a seal skinned Inuit kayak or an oak boat that Powell used, because your plastic abomination is no more "real" or "better" than an inflatable kayak. So, I'll bow to the purists when I actually see one.

So, I'll paddle a dorky duckie, or a C1, C2, OC1, OC2, Raft, tube, creature craft, river board, standup paddle board or whatever’s appropriate for your skill and the type of water. Hell.. anyone who's really in love with whitewater should love to get out and swim the swimmer-friendly rapids!

Now, you want to see dorks.. Those people who do that Canoe Poling… they’re just down right evil.

hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #52
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
What paddlebiz, a triple is dorky? OMG! Well, maybe, until I'm climbing near the top of Rist... When I need it, I'm glad it is there.

The river is what it is all about. And IK's make great beach sofas.

Sarah...if you have a triple, you need to be in better shape - sorry. Of course I'm super macho and I can ride a fixed gear backwards uphill faster than most roadies alive.

Water's gettin' low....this post has over 1000 hits and its about duckies...

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #53
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I like to get wet. Bash through waves and feel the water, head to toe. Feel the sun on my thighs. Wiggle my toes in the river.

Sure, once you get the roll and the basics, a hardshell is damn sure easier to paddle in hard rapids, and you can run stuff that's chancy in a duck.

But (personal prejudice looming up here) it makes me feel like I'm hermetically sealed in a streamlined Porta-Potty from the waist down.

No problem with most of you liking that. But I don't.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #54
travelling, around
Paddling Since: 83
Are those Alpacka Rafts considered duckies?

See Alpacka Raft LLC - The World's Finest Packrafts
or search packrafting on YouTube
cold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #55
travelling, around
Paddling Since: 83
Alpackas on steep creeks in Alaska

Lighter and more maneuverable than IKs, but not pointy so probably not so good on bigger drops.

Maybe good for some remote first descents?
cold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #56
C. Springs, Colorado
I watched a guy run Gore rapid a number of years ago in a ducky........standing up......with a really long paddle.......and a wooden helmet on his head. It looked kind of dorky.....but very cool at the same time.

So are stand up duckies the next revolution to take over this sport?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #57
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Those Alpacas are sweet for carrying into remote areas ,light[4 lbs.or 6 lbs] and compact + huge tubes = forgiving, but I don't know about more maneuverable,they are shorter but donut shaped,and durability is an issue ,no mank the material is too light.That video looked fun ,nice little creek too,but you could see it was hard to keep the boat straight and you get back endered on big pour overs because you sit so far back.It is so buoyant and blunt that you don;t go deep at all.I would say they are 2/3 's ducky one third tube.Are they self bailing?That flimsy skirt would implode in big waves and bathtub the boat,not trying to dog them ,I'd like to have one ,just think their application is limited.Not a good boat for front range mankskateer.

There are big differences among duckies ; bigger tubes and wider equals forgiving,smaller duckies require more skill.The outfitting makes a huge difference a lot of the thigh strap and foot braces are ineffective,the side tube mounted foot braces work a lot better and are more adjustable,the thwarts and thigh straps tend to be back a little too far back,look for ones you can move forward easily.Using displacement/float bags helps a lot too.You start pushing it too far you may as well kayak since you need skills anyway and are more exposed when self rescuing or swimming than when rolling,it is easier to get out of pins and is the easiest boat for others to chase down.Rambling on here I love duckying but admit hardshells are better have been kayaking more often the last couple years ,but can't give up the duck .
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #58
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Caverdan that sounds like Jeff Snyder striding,no ordinary paddler!!!There are about a half a dozen guys striding class 5 stuff.I think the boards made for stand up paddling are better in general,maybe to run harder stuff you would need the added buoyancy and foot cups ,as stand up gets more popular it is natural people will try to run harder stuff so it[striding] probably will get more popular.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #59
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Wish I had the balls to do this...

My buddy's brother is doing a lot of cool shit in Alpacka Rafts. There's other awesome video's also.

Edit: If you check out the rest of his video's, check out Lime Creamsickle and Salty Schnitzel
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #60
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I think one of those guys is my buddy Roman - he had an alpaca while we were on the grand last january. they swam a bit but had no major problems really.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote