Old 01-26-2011   #1
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are any buzzards EMT's in CO?

I'm trying to find an EMS job in CO and could really use some insider info from anyone currently in the field.

I'm open to working anywhere in the state, but prefer to work near a university so that I'm able to take a couple classes part time.

I don't have any experience, but could maybe get 4-6 months of volunteer experience before needing to get a paid position. Thoughts?

kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #2
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Denver is your best bet probably. I know competition is pretty fierce around here. 1yr minimum Exp required....

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #3
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983

I'm going to make an assumption that you just got your EMT-B. First of all, Congrats! Strong work, I hope you are able to use your new knowledge for good and remember "Do No Harm". I'm not an insider in CO but I am a Flight Medic with many years of experience in the field. On the volunteer end of things you must be advised that they don't want to have anybody who is just using them as some stepping stone. The people who vol do it for their community and for other reasons than getting a cooler position or job. They usually look for people who have community involvment and are going to be around for the future. As for employment now, you should look at the major players web sites... AMR is always looking for new people. But also be advised, you will be working in a very corporate culture. As a basic you will be on the bone car. It's like being the newest boatman on the crew, you do the scut work and hall the bags befor you get a chance to touch the oars. Do your research and find a good fit in the place you want to work, put in your time, you're not going to get to be the hero tomorrow but mabe some day...
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #4
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Try PVH in Fort Collins they run paramedic/EMT cars and have an auxillary program.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #5
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
chaffee county is not an option? I know they don't have very many employees, but they might need volunteers. I looked into it a while back, when I was daydreaming about moving up there. Also there are some private ambulance services around boulder too.

Here in NM Albuquerque Ambulance (AAS) is Albuquerque's third largest mass transit system. Presbyterian Healthcare Services
They hire basics as drivers first, and then if you sell your soul to them , Imean Sign a contract,(2 years I think) they will Pay for Paramedic school. UNM and CNM are right there in town. Bernallilo County FD has Volunteers, as does Santa Fe County FD (where I work) course its not colorado, and you will have a hassle with re-certifiying in NM, but it is another (distant) option... Good luck!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #6
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
PM nmalozzi and ask if his room mate has any leads.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #7
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Take a look in Pueblo. AMR works it. You won't experience quite the same fierce competition seen in Co. Springs and Denver.

Fairly busy with EMS calls...probably the best WW park in CO...royal gorge as an after work run....not dealing with Dtown hoards when heading into the hills....decent university....and great Mexican food.

I received my NREMT certification through an AMR program in Pueblo....good peeps.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #8
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Hey guys thanks for all the responses, I'll definitely look into all those leads. Sorry I haven't responded for a couple days; I've been wrapped up in school work all week. I really appreciate everyone's help and words and hope to be able to make something work in the near future.

This is what makes mountainbuzz is awesome - a helpful community of like-minded people that can lend a helping hand. Thanks guys.
kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #9
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
my room mate and his gf both work for pridemark in boulder and occasionally arvada. if your interested in the front range let me know. i could put you two in touch. can't guarantee anything though. i'm not sure if they are looking for people, but based off of the ridiculous hours and overtime my room mate works i'm sure they'd be more then happy to take on a volunteer.
nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #10
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The pay is not much and it is seasonal but you might want to check into running medical for a summer camp. They are always looking, and room and board are included. There are plenty in colorado. My wife runs a camp near Woodland Park. PM me if you want some details.

JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote