Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-23-2007   #1
Anyone want to run Big south from the source on mon/tue?

A friend and I would like to do it before going back east. I've run it a few times, but he's new to it. We'd like to do the thing in one long day, but we're willing to do an overnighter. Give me a call at 256 426 5432, bert or matt.
By the way, the gate is NOT open. Drat.

hortonvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Our group (N. Wigston, 56, R. Raven, Clayton, me) just ran the BS from the source as an overnighter over the past couple days. I recommend doing it as an overnighter if you have the time. Great scenery and the camping is stellar.

The source is running at a good level right now so we were able to put-on right away and float all the way down. We had two portages around wood in the gorge just above the confluence with the standard run. From our car to Starter Fluid took us approx. 2.5hrs.

The level on the main run was just about perfect (6 units on the new gauge, which seemed to correspond approx. 3.25ft or 3.5ft on the old gauge). We took our sweet time and completed the main section in 4.5 hours. If you know the run well, and provided you have no incidences, you should easily be able to complete the whole thing from your car to the takeout in about 7hrs, including snack breaks, lunch, and setting up safety at various rapids.

Pretty much everything on the main section is good to go, so long as you have the cahones to nut up to the big ones. Most of us didn't. But even then, all the in-between rapids were really really good and make the trip completely worthwhile. At this flow (high), the drops in the upper half clean up and the lower half is awesome. Beware in Meltdown - according to an earlier party this year, there may be some wood in the crux hole. Probably best to walk that one until the water drops and we know it's clean.

Otherwise, generally speaking, the wood situation is good. Any wood on the main run is sneakable all the way down to the rush (i.e. no wood portages). We took out at the log jam, so can't comment on Lower Rush.

p.s. Not sure if you plan on leaving your car at the putin (up on Trailridge road), but if you do maybe ask the Park if that's ok. We've always had shuttle drivers drop us off.

p.s.s. Please post the water level on the BS when you get back. The new gauge is a painted rock located under the takout bridge on river right. Thanks!

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #3
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002

As for Park information:
- Entrance gates open at 7am, get in before its free.
- To leave a car there (overnight), you will need to get a pass from the backcountry office. I don't know if it will cost you anything. The office opens at 8am, so if your going tomorrow, call them first. (970-586-1242)
-There is construction on Trail Ridge Road, if your before 7am, then dont worry about it, after, potental for 20-30min delays.

- check your pm box

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #4
i too would recommend the overnighter. I don't think you will have enough flow at the source in the morning. We had just enough and we put on at 4:30pm. epic run though. i'm never waiting for the gate to open again.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007   #5
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The source is awesome. Wish I coulda made it this year
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #6
"The level on the main run was just about perfect (6 units on the new gauge, which seemed to correspond approx. 3.25ft or 3.5ft on the old gauge)."

What level on the new gauge in units would correspond to below 2 ft on the old gauge? (I'm trying to figure out what a low but runnable level would be on the new gauge) Thanks-
dooleyoc-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #7
Steamboat, Colorado
dooleyoc-1: the new gauge is new this year and is being callibrated as we speak. not sure if anyone knows what the Low level mark is, yet...
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #8
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
How is that gauge holding up? Should we bring some more paint next run?
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #9
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
gage is fine. no need for paint. joe just bring that pink boat of yours and some cohenes.
The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #10
g-spot, Colorado
Frenchy or other source vets,

What is the run like from Trail ridge road to the confluence where the source meets the big south? Or from Trail ridge road to Peterson Lake? Any options there for a fun run for a class IV boaters who likes low volume remote runs but is'nt ready to take on the full gnar of the big south? Obviously the road would have to be open for the take-out so timing would require the road to be open plus water in the source, any chance of that?

Here's a link to a map of the takeouts (A and B) i was thinking of

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote