Old 02-18-2013   #11

The quick answer is that it's done fairly regularly.

DavidL (who posts here from time to time but must be off doing something more fun than scanning the Buzz) runs a fourteen footer on the Grand, and does quite well. A few years back, I did a three boat trip with two guys rowing fourteens, and they did fine.

I row bigger boats for the most part, and I admire the skill that people bring to the task when they successfully run the Grand in smaller craft.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #12
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
2008 High water event I rowed a mini-me down the grand. We had two thirteen foot otters and a 16 foot Hyside. One of the thirteen foot had a perfict run. Take the 14 and have some fun. Lava is the only one to worry about but s can happen any where.

John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #13
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Took a 14' 6" STAR and a 14' SATURN down the grand. Both never flipped, great trip.
wamsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #14
Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
did one trip in a big tube 14 hyside, light load and only an occasional passenger. fast & manuverabe boat made for a very fun trip. ran the meat on everything at 10k level and never had a hitch except for catching a surge in one hole and getting stopped pretty good at house rock

on another trip at 12k level, shared rowing duty on a heavily loaded 18 footer with 1 or 2 passengers. felt like a barge and left me wishing i was back in the 14
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #15
carbondale/BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
did it last april in a 14 foot nrs. really fun and never flipped. i felt like i had way more maneuverability than the bigger boats on the trip.
pitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #16
DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I've taken my 14' Avon Adventurer down three times and really like the way it rigs up and handles on the river. I have flipped it on all three trips but mostly from being stupid or just going big!
"Eddies are our friends"
eddy hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #17
I love posting on the buuz. thanks for all the great testimonies!
ccoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #18
rig to flip, dress to swim!!
ccoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #19
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by Rez072 View Post
You should consider downsizing to a 9' raft. Hyside makes some nice ones:
Watching those vids and others, I think most people don't realize how easy Lava can be if you backferry in as close as you can to the last big rock on the top right. You fight the boil a little, then it's a straight shot to hit the v-wave center with a touch of left angle, so you're kicked out to the middle and hit the bottom waves straight and charging. Otherwise first you're scrambling right to avoid ledge hole, hitting v sideways, and then struggling to get back middle.

The boil/pillow at the top's stronger than people think.

No room for anything off--perpendicular in a small boat.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #20
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I ran my 14' VG and had a blast. If you don't want to go big, you can run the sneak lines around the bus-eating holes on the big rapids and then all the other rapids that no one talks about are a real kick - the Jewels, the Roaring 20s, etc. If your crew doesn't need you to row a gear pig then it's the best way, IMHO.

Also, I'm not sure but I think David L may actually be running a 13' Hyside on his yearly GC trips.

[EDIT] Oh yeah - you'll be getting wet a lot more than the other folks on the big boats. You probably don't need to hear this but rig to flip, dress to swim, every single day.

Have fun!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote