Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-10-2006   #1
anyone paddling from the TELLURIDE bluegrass festival?

sounds like the san miguel has a nice III section that could be run while there for the bluegrass festivaL, just wondering if anyone might be paddling around the bluegrass festival time (june 17th weekend)?

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #2
Gnarnia, Colorado
the san miguel does have a little action, the best water is downstream of town. The area around Sawpit has probably the busiest and best rapids. From what I remember, it's a small stream with small eddies and the occassional wood or strainer. Definitely worth doing if your going to be in t-ride anyway.

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #3
Wish I was there.I'd parkn' play at the Main Attraction on the Ledges run rather than run Sawpit,a little farther but an excellent playspot at good flows.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #4
bluegrass paddling

I am going to try to hit up something on the highend one day (if anyone's interested), but my wife and I would be into paddling something in the 3-4 range one day. We're leaving tuesday mornign to head the c.b. first, but can be reached by phone. -chris

kudzuyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #5
Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
What Cayo said.
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #6
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
there is some easy side of class 5 action just below the class 6 [about 3 miles from downtown] call me if you wanna hit it--596 1400. i think the ledges kinda sucks, but the sawpit run is fun, continuous class 3. the lower mile of bilk may have enough water, and it is manky 5-. the miguel needs to be 650 or so for any of this to be going. you can run sawpit section down to 400 or so, but it gets bony.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #7
think it will be on it's way down or hold steady for the next week? 550 cfs right now... don't know the snowpack down there this year.

I usually set my limit at four or so, and then I'm likely to be counting fishies occasionally, but not for too long

leaving wed, afternoon if possible. haven't seen a good spot in the lineup to duck out, maybe sometime early? (not that I'm a morning person, per se, but for paddling)

kudzu, are you going to be in town park? I'll be in town park for camping and the in show, six foot tall, long red goatee and hair. I don't have a cell phone but I have till wed to know somewhere to be at sometime to meet up...

steven, are you in telluride or just nearby? I could stop by to find you if you are right in town? that is if you feel like running a measly three section...
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #8
we are heading over from crested butte very early fri and will be at the fest all day. it's been 6-7 years since i've been to telluride, so if you know a good spot to touch base friday. we were thinking of paddling sat, maybe.

Steven, I'll give ya a call in a couple days.

kudzuyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #9
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
i live downvalley 15 miles or so, but my wife and kids and i will be staying in town for the week. give me a call. you can actually put on in town right by the fest and run a couple miles of scenic, refreshing 2-3 through town right from the fest.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #10
Redbeard, Chris, Steve-

I will be in T-Ride Thursday afternoon through Monday morning, and would love to paddle a couple of times while I am in town. My cell is 970.376.3326. Redbeard- Friday mid-morning looks like a good time to go? Chris- are you from Mississippi?

Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote