Old 08-31-2009   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Anyone paddled in the Himalayas?

SO i'm headed to nepal in early october to do some climbing for a while then hoping to paddle a bit somewhere in that region of the world... anyone paddled there or have any info? thanks!

"Only the boring get bored...."
ldemuth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #2
Dude, Is that over near Pakistan, China area? I'm unclear of the area, I guess I shall look at a map..

I guess you have conquer-ed everthing in the neighborhood, Yea?

No I have not.

Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #3
yah, climbing off the flanks of annapurna....

to be clear: im comfortable on III-IV- waters right now, and certainly have not conquered everything in my back yard, but would like to squeeze some paddling in while im over there in the off season... tryin to be on the water as much as possible
Old 08-31-2009   #4
Biz or pleasure? Guess you gona do both..?

Good luck and keep an eye out..
Palo Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #5
i guess you could call it both.... trying to get on as a guide at a place my buddy works, but to be honest it started out as pleasure.... i live/work in the states during the summer months and typically go climbing abroad during part/all of the winter months
Old 08-31-2009   #6
Modi Kola

You'll hike right up the Modi Kola on the way to Annapurna. Great IV (V) run and gets steeper as you get higher. If you wanna do the hard guy trip, rent a boat in Pokhara at the kayak shop from the french guy, then hire a porter to carry it to first bridge or second bridge (there's a little village there) and you can find someone to store it. Go climb and then run the classic on the way back down with a couple of rest days in between. That should take about two weeks with the climbing. Maybe more.

There's a bunch of fun, huckable waterfalls farther down -closer to the takeout-you can hike up to. That creek comes in on river right. I'm spacing the name now. The waterfalls are epic.

The trick will be finding someone to paddle with after you climb. It's easy to meet paddlers in Pokhara though. Tons of other options as well. That's just one you'll see as you're walking up to ABC.
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #7
Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1979
I've been over there 8 times.
I was there for the climbing and trekking more than the whitewater.
Haven't been now for 5 years.
If you need a good Sherpa, PM me.
I have a great one although he is probably getting old now and maybe his kids are taking over.
If i was paddling, there's the Trisuli or the Kali Gandaki (the latter one is considered the deepest gorge in the world with Annapurna on the east side and Daulagiri on the west, both 8,000 meter peaks and the river is around 1500 meters. Nice views!
Have fun.
fiddleheadpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #8
You will be in the Pokhara area for your hike, so look for runs around there.

Kali Gandaki is 3 day III-IV run only 1/2 day bus ride from Annapurna Trailhead

Smokey's Modi is right there and rules

The best is the 5 day Karnali IV which is 1 day bus ride from there

Seti is right near town there, and quality III-IV day stretch

Bring all your own gear, except kayak, and count on finding a boat. You can rent gear right there in Pokhara. The best move is to monger into a raft company. Bring some extra gear like a few helmets or lifejackets and scout out which place looks chill and roll in there with the extra gear and say here's some gear for you, I wanna safety kayak a trip. Act like your a sick ass kayaker. Then negotiate a trip as a safety kayaker. Maybe free, maybe half price, it all just depends on how good you negotiate. It's nice to go with the raft company cause you have the shuttle, food, everything dialed.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #9
WetSide, Washington
Are you climbing Annapurna?
farnzi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #10
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
sweet trip dude.

I was in Nepal last November by myself. It is a SWEET trip, how long are you going to be there and how big is your group? Here is what I learned:

#1 - Base yourself out of Pokhera, not Kathmandu. It is MUCH nicer and you can get everything you need as a westerner looking to kayak there. If you do end up in Kathmandu the local boater hang out seems to be a guest house called "Holy House" I believe and is about a block down and around the corner from the famous Kathmandu Guest house

#2 - Talk to a guy German guy named Andy that runs Shiva Outdoors based out of Kathmandu. He can custom setup trips for you, hook you up with guides etc. He hooked me up with a guide named Kamal (sp?) and it was like $15 a day plus expenses and we ran the Bhota Kosi. He also setup a raft supported kayak trip of the Karnali that I think ended up being like $350. He also seems to have the best selection of available boats. While I did one trip as a tag along on a commercial raft trip I think private guides are the way to go especially if you have 3-5 people you can share the cost with and get it down to something like $5 a day.

#3 - I plan on going back, and when I do I plan on taking ALL my gear including a cheap "modern" play boat which they need. I think if you bargain well enough you could trade that play boat for rentals through the rest of your trip.

#4 - Learn to bargain. I don't think I did a very good job of that and while I paid very little for the trips I took from a US stand point, I'm sure I could have gotten better.

#5 - Buy a good medical evac/S&R type insurance. While I didn't end up needing it and I didn't buy it, I WILL next time because the state of the medical system is so bad as an american you can not even imagine. I was told to go to Malaysia if I got seriously hurt... Go to a travel nurse and get all your shots, Malaria is a concern in some areas as well.

#6 - Last but certainly not the least important, don't expect to be on a schedule, things WILL not go as planned. You must be willing to roll with the punches.

Just fyi, I got my airfare from denver to KTM for about $1400 in feb for a Nov. 1 departure and a Dec. 1 return. I paddled 21 days total I think on the Sun Kosi, Bhota Kosi, and Karnali. The entire trip cost less then $3000 for a month all in.

IM me if you want to talk more and I'll shoot you my phone number.

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote

climbing, mountains, paddlling