Old 09-09-2009   #21
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks for the info...

Thanks everyone for helping me out with a ton of info and input. Here's what I've got so far... well post climbing...

looks like I'll probably try to start out on the Seti, and then head to the Kali Gandaki and paddle the hell out of it. Time/$$ permitting I'll hit up the Sun Koshi or Marsyangdi...

Ill be sure to post pics/vids when I get back and let everyone know how it went. cheers to all and happy paddlin'

"Only the boring get bored...."
ldemuth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #22
Avon, co Paddling Since: 2000
I here places in India will pay for safety kayakers. and I'm considering blowing off a real job for the winter to kayak/ trek india/ nepal. I have a friend there right now and he sent me this, trying to get me over there:

"Anyhow, heres the goods. As my very good friend I'm simply throwing out options for you as I know soon your life will be changing and up in the air. When we were on the Rogue you told me that rafting outfits over here are in need of safety kayakers so I followed up, at a town called Rishikesh on the Ganges River, about a 12 hour (240 kms) drive NE of Dehli. Anyhow, you were right, I talked with 2 outfits, both wanted a saftey kayaker one of them really badly. They offered me a job on the spot. Here is what they offered me.
-1500 Rupees a day, thats about 31 US Dollars, doesn't sound like a lot, but over here, thats a SHITLOAD. For example, last night I stayed in a nice hotel for 4 bucks, and all meals cost about 1 dollar and a 7 hour bus ride can cost like 3 bucks..etc, etc
-free accomadtion
-all food, every day, working or not, all food provided by them
-free use of motor bike
-I can go on any of their trekking or other river trips for totally free

They wanted to hire me on the spot, right then and there. I said, no, and I'll think about it, but they said, the job is mine if and when I want it. They are called "Ravers Expedions",look them up.

If you contact them I'm sure they'd offer you the job too. The town they are based in Rishikesh is pretty cool too."

i have no idea how these INDIA rivers compare to those mentioned in Nepal, but it seemed like a good way to enjoy the offseason. Per suggestions above seems like pokhara is the best town to be stationed in for kayaking...Is this true? how does India/ Rishikesh compare. If I go (will be my 1st trip to the area) I would like to pick the best spot for work/play... nice town where I can safety boat, and take cool overnight trips (trek/kayak) on my on and meet westerners. any additional thoughts from those with expierence in the area... Also travel partners? thinking of leaving mid-November-ish.

Low-budget 27 yr-old V- kayaker ready to give up on being self-employed in the construction industry...India...Nepal...anyone..bueler?

your comments and advice are appreciated.

other info from my friend Nesto's email who left for there Sept 1 2009:

And as for visas and all that shit, I have a 1 year tourist visa and they said no worries about the work visa bullshit, the government doesn't give a shit out here. So if you got the visa you could do it to, the application takes about 20 minues to fill out, send it in, and pay $98 and in a week you're good. Airplane ticket to Dehli cost about $1,300....think about it bro, how sweet would that be to both be living, working, travelling, paddling together over here....I'd love that man!!!!!!! Hope all is well.Peace and Love,

PS...I've been here 9 days so meat or booze yet, thats the longest dry spell in my life!!!!

empowered by the spirit of the Nizz
gnarseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #23
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
gnarseeker, that is enough for me to want to buy a ticket! India would be interesting for a while I think, but everyone I met in Nepal that had been to India preferred Nepal. The general comments where it was dirtier, people where pushier, and not as safe as Nepal and that went double for women. My general impression is that it wouldn't be as easy to get a safety boater spot with all the perks that you mentioned in Nepal, I have not been to Inda but it strikes me as a much less developed whitewater industry there.

Leaving mid-nov. would be a bit late in the season I think, things are winding down by then, as the monsoon should have ended by Sept. 1, until the spring run off starts.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #24
Fort Collins, Colorado
Right now I am planning on going to India in Jan. (have to finish school first) to work mostly on the Ganges for a company called aquaterra adventures.

I had heard from a couple of people that the area that the rafting companies run out of (Rishikesh) is not the best place for Americans to travel/work alone in. But I am glad to hear that other are considering going out there.

What time frame are you thinking you will be there?? I think I am going to be there from late Jan to late April/early May. It would be sweet to hook up with a couple other paddlers along the way to do some traveling/working with
There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #25
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
hell yeah! Good to hear that India has some stiff like that going on... may have to check that out....

im leaving the states Oct 6th, return Jan 13th-- if anyone is out there and wants to meet up or something shoot me a PM and we can see if things work..

adios amgios

"Only the boring get bored...."
ldemuth6 is offline   Reply With Quote

climbing, mountains, paddlling