Old 02-27-2004   #1
Boise, Idaho
Anyone headin' to CA 3/21-3/28

My buddy and I are heading to Northern CA area during our spring break. We live in Boise. Since it is only the two of us (for now) we would like to hook up with others that might be in the area at that time. Help with shuttles, saftey in numbers, more social campfire parties, that sort of thing. We will be looking to run some good stuff, IV-V runs. Thought I would see if anyone will be out that way and would like to try and make some plans. Gettin' stoked!!

Post here or email me.

ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004   #2
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
We're going in April but I'll give you my advice from last years trip. Definitely go to Downieville and stay at the Downieville Inn. There are some really good creeks (Pauley for one that are close by and the owner is super cool. Good friend of the famous MB Craw. The guide book is pretty messed up in my opinion. Bump all the ratings up by atleast 1/2 and sometimes a full class (ie if the book says IV it's more like a IV+ or V). You have to do the south fork of the Yuba 49 to bridgeport. If you can get someone to show you the lines it will help shorten your day. If you can't find a guide go early or hike out in the dark like we had to (we didn't put on until noon) Woops!!! It will be a rude trip!!!! That will be too early for Dry Meadow and the Kern.

Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Hey there,

Yeah, a bunch of us from Boulder are headed to the Auburn area. Right now its only 4 people (one complete begginer, one lower intermediate, one upper intermediate, and one advanced that being me). We'll be leaving from Boulder on the 19th and getting there late on the 20th most likely. If there is only four people going then it would be nice to only drive one car, so your setup sounds great with shuttles and such. We should get in touch. E-mail me with what you have planned for what kinda stuff you wanna do and I'm sure we can at least hook up for a few runs. I especially want to hook up with you guys if you are thinking of doing something harder, as I am with a bunch of mostly newbies. Cool, lets talk.

Josh H.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004   #4
Yeah, Nor Cal is where you want to be that time of year, although you might find access to some of the classics still closed by snow. Nonetheless, there is always something good in CA, especially Northern at that time. For some more beta on creek runs there check out Also, the guys who run that show live in Arcata and it sounds like youll be in their neck of the woods so you might be able to run into them somewhere....sick paddlers and fun to party with.

Im coming back to CO from the southern hemisphere soon, and if I cant land a pass job to get a month or so of turns in, i might try and meet you out there as I would love to revisit the area, some friends and paddle some super quality Nor Cal shit at a time of year when you DONT want to get stuck out in the tick infested woods overnight in the freezing rain with nothing but a space banket between 4 people. Trust me.

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004   #5
Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the input people. I'm so stoked to get out there. If people think they might be able to hook up, drop me a line. We are going for sure. Meng, I don't know the show live in Arcata. But if you have insight on someone who would paddle with a couple Idaho boys, I'd love to know how to get in touch with them. Lets get a big ole group.

ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote