Old 02-12-2008   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Anyone have visuals on AZ flows

Hey I was wondering if anyone has had visuals on recent flows in the Salt or other rivers in AZ? The Hellsgate report (looks sweet BTW) seems to imply that only low elevation stuff is going, with freezing temperatures higher up. The guage at Chrysotile has been reading 1640 cfs on the Salt pretty steadily the last week, but the curve shape is kind of weird. Whenever big floods hit, they scour the river beds and thus the gauge calibration curves can get screwed up and the river has to be resurveyed to correct it. If thats the case, flows can be either way more or way less than what the guage reads. Anyone know if this 1600 cfs looks accurate?

benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #2
in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996

Hellsgate: Way too low. I considered hiking in the Hellsgate Trail...that is the only way to do it right now. Myself and some Salt Lake boaters went to the put-in on Saturday.....I thought it was way too low, and they had just done the long drive, so they opted to put on and broke both of their boats 8 miles down....resulting in a long, reported hike out. So that makes 4 boats to go put on Hellsgate last weekend, and only one didn't break.

Salt: Gauge is good to go.

Everything else: Is still waiting for the melt.

The impossible is merely the undone. -CS
codyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #3
Yeah it's close to spot on. The 'rim received one of the biggest events in the pst ten+ years during the last part of January. This follows a couple of other storm system's that's put snow in places it hasn't been for a number of years.

The Colorado Basin River Forecast Center forecasts this region as well as the rest of the Co basin and monitors both gage reports and our continuous model (so you can get the current observed, plus whatto expect by the time you make it down there from Colorado). You can find much more here:

Colorado Basin River Forecast Center - Colorado River, Green River, San Juan River, Eastern Great Basin, Lower Colorado [not spam -- free.]

We also keep in touch with the GS about various gage issues. All paddlers ought to feel free to contact the office with questions or concerns.

I am Ed. The numbers on the web site.
merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Good to know! Thanks! Want to get down there soon and I never know what to think after a big flood.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #5
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
AZ Flows

Going to to Salt this weekend, will wee what the flood did and report back. Hopefully the boulder gardens aren't choked full of giant cactus..... I Am interested to see what happened to Cherry Creek if was flowing several thousand cfs for a couple of days, maybe a huge beach now?
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #6
Phoenix, Arizona

i've seen saguaros take beatings from weather that would kill me, so you shouldn't have to worry about any saguaro logs in your next eddy. you might want to check for cholla though
HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #7
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ i fuckin HATE cholla, i crashed into one during my formative years, fuckin OW

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote