Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-11-2003   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Anyone have experience/advice on orgainizing pool sessions?

I've recently moved from CO to Boston (i know), and i've been trying to track down some winter flat water fun. I have turned up very little and am starting to think that I should just tackle this on my own.

Can anyone offer up some advice on how i might pursuade a local pool that holding a Once/Week Kayak Pool session is a good idea? I'm assuming that there are a lot of issues/conserns involved (insurance, atendance, profit).

Any help on this subject would be greatly apriciated and would also help a brother get his flat water space godzillas dialed in.

Thanks a lot,
Len (missing colorado )

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #2
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

You might not like what I'll going to tell you, but here's the skinny on pool time. Someone needs to rent the pool. That's the real deal. The community centers, YMCA, colleges, local pools all get paid up front. Someone is footing the bill, so kayakers can have their winter pool sessions. It's either a club, or a shop, of it's a school group- but someone has thrown down the money first. Then it is promoted to fill enough spaces so that the person who rented the pool can get their money back, or if your lucky which is very rare to make a few bucks. The idea is that the people using the pool will remember who provided the place for them and those people will come shop in our stores.

Look around and see if you can join a paddling clubs, or see if any school programs have anything going that you might be ablt to get involved with. Those might be your best options.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #3
Don knows of what he speaks.

I just moved to Denver after 20 years in Boston.

Check in with the Appalachian Mountain Club up on Joy Street on Beacon Hill. They promote a lot of paddling events as well as a ton of other cool stuff. They may have something going already or may help start something.

Also call Zoar Outdoor Center in Charlemont, MA. Although they are quite a ways out of Boston, they may have some insight.

It may be worth a call to Blodgett Pool over at Harvard and some of the other college pools and Y's to see if there is open pool time.

You can always buy a dry suit and head to the chilly Atlantic over in Winthrop or go down ot Southie and join the L-Street Brownies for some ocean fun.

Good luck.
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not a spoon.
dvc is offline   Reply With Quote