Old 03-23-2009   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Left hand is a small creek, with a small drainage area, and the high country snowpack to the west of the canyon near the continental divide gets mostly captured by boulder creek and SSV. Left hand also has a reservoir at the headwaters. This means that left hand flow is usually low, to dog low, to bone dry. Clear creek could be running a solid medium, and left hand could still be a piss trickle. Left hand's primary problem, is flow, it never seems to get enough to make it worth it for most, and when it does have water, the other runs in the area usually have more.

Left hand also does not have an internet gauge, so the level is checked visually. If it does happen to rain enough for left hand to run at a good level (rare), you probably won't know it unless you live right there.

Boaters who live right near left hand probably run it because its right in their backyard (I would too if it were in my backyard), but most boaters would have to drive by runs with way better flows and rapids on their way to left hand, so why bother? It that sense, its not usually worth it as compared to other local options of similar difficulty.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #12
Since Sbratt is being a little Bratty, I just have to comment on your advice to run black rock and walk all 3, or to run Boulder Creek and walk Buttress.

That's stupid advice. Why don't you put out a new guide book, the title can be:

Which runs have the best walks

Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I like Lefthand,me and my bro clean it every year .It is creekin' light unless it's crankin',mostly iv-/iv [iv+] fairly continuous mank but no very distinct rapids except the crux,few eddies and wood issues.Most real creekers don't bother.It' s redeeming qualities are it runs a little earlier[Apr/May] than Boulder Creek and is easier than the Proving Grounds,Black Rock, or SSV ,but a step up from Shelley's or Alto Alto [ unless it's crankin',never done it above 650].You can easily lap the crux to takeout if you want.There is a gauge, some lines on a rock,by the picnic area at the takeout.Don't run it below the bottom line,sucks.It's fun running these funky micro creeks for some of us.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #14
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
If it rains alot, like multiple days in a row it will prolly go. Never done it, but If I were in the area when it was running I would check it out. Why not?
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It has a short runoff season usually a week or two,late April or early May with most of the water coming down James Creek,whenever 10/11,000 ft.ish stuff melts.SSV is the best other creek to gauge it by,when it's rising and almost runnable early,Lefthand probably is going.Later or for a high flow you need rain.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

left hand canyon