Old 04-09-2009   #41
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Yep, you got me on that, I was just saying that for the hell of it as we all know everyone brings a beer or two in one's kayak and more if one has a raft!

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #42
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post
So after alot of whining and psuedo lawyering, no one has still answered this guy's question. I also would like to know the answer. Are they really enforcing it or is it just on the books to see how many people they can get whining on the buzz?

Personally, I've been free from getting prosecuted on this one.

p.s. I'm amazed at how many people don't know what runs are in CO (especially when they claim to have run them).
On the Dolores last year, a river supposedly notorious for being tough on drinkers and smokers, Ranger Rick told us, as long as you're not messing around, I'm not gonna mess with you. The implication was that he could be a dick if he wanted to. I've heard the same from a Westwater ranger, a Deso/ Gray (both Utah, but still) ranger, and a town cop in Durango.

They are not going out of their way to enforce it, but it does tip the scales more in their favor if you are bothering them. The Deso ranger said he takes beer away all the time because people are being assholes. Fortunately he just offered to haul the trash we had accumulated so far out with him.

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #43
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i blame it all on yakgirl.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #44
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Looks like another unenforceable law to make it seem like they are doing some good. I would not worry about it.
wreckoftheairefitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #45
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
yakgirls fault? WTF?

If Grif wasn't such a dick and would put down the can of Schitz and his turkey leg for a moment to save a life we wouldn't need laws like this one.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #46
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post
p.s. I'm amazed at how many people don't know what runs are in CO (especially when they claim to have run them).
What my Deso trip wasn't in Colorado? No shit, really? Was I really drinking that much? Damn! But I swear Ray's Tavern can't be more than few miles outside Grand Junction!
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #47
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
I believe it might be more of an "after the fact" liability CYA issue and a method to point the finger of blame with more authority. Say a drunk boater needs rescue and rescue personnel drown in rescue attempt... in the past (before the law) how could they show that the boater is liable for the death? He was participating in a legal activity and lack of training on the rescuers part might be said to be the major factor, not the fact that the drunk boater should not have been in the situation to need rescue in the first place. Now, if that happens, bet your ass that the boater will be charged with BUI and that will be the nail in the coffin for the civil liability issue when the deceased rescuers family sue the boater for wrongful death. Despite the Eric Cartman "respect ma authoraTEE" attitude of some of the cops out there, no cop is going to want to be the test case in arresting an otherwise legal boater (that is, if the cop is not put on the spot to "do something" as a result of a third party complaint). Even if it came to that, there is a very good chance the prosecutor would either drop the case or allow it to be plead down to something very minor like disorderly conduct or public intoxication as he, most likely, won't want his name on the test case either. Then you get to the issue of field sobriety tests and how to conduct them on the river or in that environment in a timely fashion, dont even want to go there...
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #48
Gunnison, Colorado
Originally Posted by benpetri View Post
It still seems dumb to subject a Dagger Kingpin to the same laws as a speed boat with a 60 horsepower engine.
You've never seen me paddle. 60 horses at least. jk. Wasn't there a guy who put a jet engine on the back of his kayak? Gotta cover him. Don't get shwasted and paddle your jet engined kayak...good law.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #49
Let's just hope that whoever enforces the BUI law does not read the "beer on the river" thread on this forum. They could get the impresssion that boaters are a bunch of drunks!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #50
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
The National Park Service loved to hand these tickets out. I got one for possession of alcohol by a minor for blowing a 0.01 when NPS cops ordered our raft off the river in the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area near Atlanta. A few years later, one of my friends was floating in a raft and the park cops ordered them off the river. He was rather inebriated so he got hauled to jail for BUI. He had to sit in jail until the judge came in on Monday morning. He only got a small fine, but this was 15 years or so ago. I'm betting it would be a lot more these days. That may have been the way that NPS enforced laws in Georgia, so it might vary state to state. Luckily, I don't have any more experience to verify this one way or the other.

DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote