Old 06-23-2007   #1
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2002
Anyone from New Mexico/ Albuquerque?

Hey all, I just moved from CO to Albuquerque. I have a 14.5 foot paddle and gear boat and I am looking to connect with the rafting community down here. If anyone has any good info about whats around (the box, etc.) and wouldn't mind chatin let me know. Thanks!

southard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #2
Yrisarri, New Mexico
Local Club

check the bbs also

NN5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #3
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
welcome to NM...
your boats pretty much too big for the box until it gets above 900/1000... even on the pilar section @ 12' is more optimal for all the tight moves...til the water goes back up (prolly not until next year). stop by Santa Fe rafting on the way back from the river sometime, theres always folks to go boating with @ the boatyard.(right at the main intersection in SF- cerillos and St. francis -1000cerillos rd. 505-988-4914)
the racecourse is runnable all the way down to 150-200cfs, although its just a way to (try) and get wet at that level. its better in a kayak. theres always the chama tho...
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #4
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
Anybody know if there's anything around Ruidoso, NM?
I'm driving down from T-Ride for a week and I was going to bring my boat just in case. I'm not even sure if there's a lake to do some rolling practice and flatwater work.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #5
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
dude your best option is to go swimming in a large beer (or three).
that theres cattle country... flat as a pancake, hot as hell, and smells like the inside of a cows ass. oh wait, sorry, thats roswell im thinking of. ruidoso is actually really damn nice compared to the flatlands. up in the mountains, in the forest, ( talk about high risk for wildland fires, the whole place is below treeline, in the ponderosas and dry as a bone usually) there is a creek somewhere in town, but i have never heard of anyone even boating at all down there. there is also a river on the highway down from roswell, but same thing. prolly miles of fences in the river 'y todo'.... then again i've only been there twice while i was driving down to roswell for over a year to go to paramedic school at ENMU-R. i usually avoid southern NM. stay up here in the mountains. with the treehuggers.
your actual best boating option is to drive south through taos or drive back half an hour north from chama/espanola, and stop for a couple laps on the pilar section of the Rio Grande, or even a (NR) low water box run. then you can ditch your boats somewhere so they dont melt on your roof down south. ruidoso is pretty cool, just a little piece of texas in the montes....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote