Old 03-17-2012   #1
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Anyone ever ran Fremont Canyon in Utah

Untitled Page

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #2
Yes. And that WWSR description is horrible... haha.

I ran it in 2007, watched flows for a few weeks, and we managed to time a late March trip perfectly with the spring spike/peak, which was around 350cfs on Sunday. Wigston, Front Range Fred, and I ran it on Saturday and Sunday. This is probably the flow you want. Higher would make it better but you would probably end up blundering into the class Vs sans scout if you didn't know it.

The bad. It's not a very good run because of the ridiculous amount of willow bashing. Think high speed 1/4 mile long tunnels for the paddle out. The paddle in isn't much better. It's super bony and manky and tight. Flooded micro creeking at it's best, and ELF rock bashing with too much overgrowth at its worst. Scouting any and all of the rapids is a pain in the ass because of the overgrowth. Hitch hiking the shuttle can be a little interesting... and can be easy.

The good. Hangover falls is a fun drop. Also deep, which is good since I forgot to boof on our second run. The canyon itself is super impressive and the highlight of the journey. Big desert walls and not any signs of civilization. If it's your second day you don't have to scout, which is nice. Chunderbunny is interesting and was fun. I was guilty of opting not to scout Fledgling Falls, which I thought was sweet because you only get one chance to run a stairstepping drop into a sweet boof blind once. Wigglesticks and Front Range ended up pinned on top of each other in the left channel sieve land and were thoroughly unimpressed with my decision... so we scouted that one on Sunday.

The real highlight is getting to explore Capital Reef Park. The takeout orchard/homestead is neat and the glyphs are abundant along the highway. Beautiful area with good camping. Unfortunately a lot of BS willow bashing for the amount of whitewater.

The roadside sections of the Fremont have some good potential for the non-huckers. And there is one huge (30' ish) and unnatural looking waterfall that is visible from the road. None of us wanted it that day, but I bet it goes.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I always wondered about that 2-3 with the waterfall huck .That whole area is so geologically spectacular that just having a little whitewater to spice up a very scenic float would be sweet . I f you google ' Capitol Reef waterfall ' there is an article about them closing the falls to public use during warm weather/ swimmable temperatures, due to 3 near drownings. It seems to run high after summer rains. I doubt the ban applies to kayakers , but maybe. It also seems you need just the right level ; at low it looks like an easy 15 -20 footer but crappy landing = rock near hole. At higher flows it is 5-10 feet taller with a bad hole set back in a crease but a slide opens on the right. You can't see the lead in from pics but two things i read make it sound like it is pushy,tight ,and maybe technical. You are right Cutch it is unnatural ,sez' they moved the streambed to make the road and it is eating into the soft rock.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote