Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-03-2004   #11
find someone who knew Dan Crane

I'm in Laramie, from South Dakota. The guy that taught me to boat knew all about Deer Creek, and if my memory serves me correctly, he may have even scouted/ran that section. Problem is, Dan is no longer with us. If you ask around on the buzz for folks that knew and paddled with Dan Crane, they may be able to offer a little more info about his trips. Dan was always scouting new creekin' runs in Wyoming.

good luck.

hudlenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #12
Boulder, Colorado

I'm using my wife's login to write this as a friend suggested I take a look at this thread.
Wyoming boating is close to my heart as well (I'm the guy that pinned on the N fork of the Little Laramie.) For that run it should be mentioned that it is a great run - one continuous rapid. Scout the whole thing, and plan on commiting to the entire run. Some other runs in the Snowies include French Creek, Libby Creek, and definetly Rock Creek. Deer Creek, near Casper, was run by a guy named Calvin. I don't know how to get ahold of him but he works for the railroad in Casper. As Jesse (Splatdog) mentioned the Poudre drainage is close to Laramie, especially if you go through the back door. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. giamellaro@hotmail.com

Mike G

Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #13
Re: message for MaryJane

Originally Posted by goatboater
that beaver dam in West Laramie more than a few times when the water level was cranking and noticed that for a week or so there looks like a runable drop over part of it.
I was watching the drops this past spring as well. I was too chicken to jump out there myself, but now that I know someone else is thinking the same way, I'm game.

I don't know how to get to it, except by floating down from the highway 230 fishing access, but a couple of bends upstream from Kiwanis Park, there is a drop created by huge cement blocks that are river wide. Its kick-butt going over in my canoe, but I've never looked at it from a kayaker's perspective. If memory serves me right, it should have a hell of a wave during run off. I haven't floated it in a couple of years. I don't know, but maybe the greenbelt goes by it, I've never walked past the park. I'm sure gonna find out though.

Do any of you Laramie folks go to the pool sessions on Sundays?
\"I''ll take age and treachery over youth and inexperience anyday\"...---Some old fart color=cyan][/color]
MaryJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #14
I also immediately thought of Dan when Brian asked about Deer Cr.

Brian, here's a site I forgot to mention where you will probably be able to find some info. Ed has been around for a long time and I'll bet he has some beta for you:

These guys (and gals) are out of Cody.
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004   #15
Deer Creek run

Calvin Bergstrom, Steve Varland, and Ed Conning did what they beleived to be the first descent of Deer Creek in the mid-90's. The creek is only boatable during high runoff of good snowpacks. It's mostly IV and some V with one definite portage. You need permission to cross some private land to get access to the put-in. The run is a lot like a miniature of the Clark's Fork Box.
codyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004   #16
Mike G

What did you use as a guage, obviously it is visual but was there any certain place you checked out or just general water running. What time in the spring did you do the North Fork of the LL? Thanks for the info

wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004   #17
Steve did the guaging but it was primarily that there was significant flow where Deer Creek crosses the interstate. Basically, you have water or you don't. You can contact Steve at varmit@vcn.com. He can probably tell you who to contact about getting access.
codyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004   #18
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992

That is an online gauge, I plugged the lat lon into topozone and it looks like it is right at the takeout. It hasn't reported since november though, may not be a good gauge anymore.

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004   #19
Douglas, Wyoming
You can gauge the flow from the interstatebut it's kind of hard if you've never seen it before, there is a gauge station about 1000 or so yards up from the takeout. We ran it at 5.50 on the gauge which is 481 cfs in early June -95, I've seen it at around 7.00 / 1134 cfs while scouting and it is rippin. The run is four miles as the crow flys but quite a bit longer on the creek, the upper two sections are BLM and the lower two are owned by the VR ranch and as I remember you cross some of thier land on top also so be sure to get permission. They were way cool when we asked. If you're going to check it out e-mail me at varmit@vcn.com I'll help if I can. Steve

varmit is offline   Reply With Quote