Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-04-2009   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Anyone else worried about frontrange snowpack?

Seems to me we are behind the ball on snowfall east of Vail pass.

CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #2
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Nope, right at average in the South Platte:
and above average in the Ark:

asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Well, what will "average" look like compared to last year, I guess is how I think of it.
And I can't imagine we'll have 4K through the Gorge for weeks like last year on the Ark; etc.

I'm more concerned with how long peak will last, and we can't know that yet. Still, this year will be a disappointment compared to last in certain ways, I'm sure.
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
If we stay dry through March, the 'average' snow pack will simply evaporate away with the winds. It has happened before and will happen again. Do your snow dances, or plan on not watering your crabgrass!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Snowhere - good point about the wind.

At least in the SW corner we're looking at a chance of snow thru Wednesday. Hopefully some dumpage occurs. Right now, we've got bare spots around the yard (at 7660')... which is crazy for February...
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If you look at the data things are looking good so far through beginning of feb. Copied this data from basin wide snowpack summary report below. Basically every sub-basin in the south platte basin is doing better than last year (and most better than average) except the southern most headwaters of the region. Clear creek, cache la poudre, boulder creek, st. vrain, big T are all doing better. I'm not too bummed about the upper south platte being low. I've never run cheeseman or eleven mile, and seems like the dam masters keep these guys fairly low most of the time anyway. Upper blue has good snowpack at this point too, which combined with below avg upper south platte likely means more water through the tunnel and into the north fork of the south platte. Short story is, at this point in the year, most of the prime front range drainages appear to be on track for a decent year. Of course, we are only at 60% of peak and have 3 more months of snowfall to get us to good, but at this point there I'm not concerned.

Stupid editor screwed up the table. First number is % of last year, second number is % of average.

Heres the link to report ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/sno...09/basnco2.txt

BASIN PERCENT OF PERCENT OF SNOW COURSE LAST YEAR AVERAGE ************************************************** ********** BIG THOMPSON BASIN Basin Totals 113% 102% BOULDER CREEK BASIN Basin Totals 111% 97% CACHE LA POUDRE BASIN Basin Totals 115% 113% CLEAR CREEK BASIN Basin Totals 118% 129% SAINT VRAIN BASIN Basin Totals 114% 100% UPPER SOUTH PLATTE BASIN Basin Totals 85% 88% TOTAL SOUTH PLATTE BASIN Basin Totals 107% 103
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
Based on NOAA's long-term forecast the front range has little to worry about; the west slope's forecast is more "brown." These forecasts are usually wildly inaccurate. Therefore, one could look at a dismal forecast with great optimism.

Current Forecast:

But don't bet anything on it. Check out how NOAA blew the 2002 drought forecast in November 2001. Didn't even see it coming.
DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
make sure you are checking water equlevelent and not just snow pack. depth doesn't always tell how much water is sitting there. good luck i know we were way behind but the snow last week brought the south platte up 15 percent.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #9
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Nothing to be concerned about ... yet. We are on a similar track to last year in the north. A bit behind that in the south, but still in good shape. Medium term weather models and the ensembles show no sign of a dry spell, and good chances of significant precip in the next month, including along the front range.

Of course, a dry March/April is a snowpack killer, regardless of where we're at at the end of Feb.

Big difference to last year ... a lot of our snow has fallen in warm SW flow, even on the northern mountains. This has mean less of a low elevation snowpack, which matters little to peak flows.

What we do need is precip on the front range and plains. It's pretty darn dry.

Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #10
timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I know the snow in my back yard only affects golf courses on the front range, Ten Mile, the Blue and the Colorado... but I can tell you without any doubt, things are not looking good here. At 10'000 ft I've found bare spots biggest enough to throw a picnic, last year there was a dense 4 to 5 foot everywhere. It better start snowing now and not stop until May, if there any hope of anything close to last year!

yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote