Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-30-2011   #1
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
anymone know a good Oregon/washinton river guide book?

Something like the one for the rockies/central america

lucanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #2
the closest you could find would be soggy sneakers, not even close to the quality. They are to busy boating to write books. I had the oregon rivers and creeks and it worked, but some descriptions and logistics were off. I would just check out oregonkayaking.net. has everything you need to know really

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #3
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
lucanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #4
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
the fourth edition of "Soggy Sneakers" has been extensively updated with more runs and info. But if it's class 4/5 you're looking for I agree with Paulk save the money and go to Oregon Kayaking
as it's pretty much all there (at least for Oregon)
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #5
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
A pitch for Soggy Sneakers: it is available for Kindle. This means that I downloaded it to my phone, which is handy for figuring out where to go for your next run. Rackley has done some great work with Oregon Kayaking, but that's dependent on having access to a network, while the Kindle stuff is on your device.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #6
Leadvillian, Colorado
Funny you asked, I just ordered Snoggy Sneakers last week. The slow shipping has kept it from arriving yet, but I'll post a review for you when it comes.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #7
There are a few good books.

I wouldn't disregard Soggy Sneakers. If you are cruising around Oregon with nothing to do but boat, it's great to be able to fall asleep in the tent figuring how which spring-fed drainage you get to bag the next day. I had a great couple of weeks in OR with soggy sneakers as my guide. Call me a luddite, but I dig books that don't need to be plugged in.

Same goes for the Bennet Book for washington rivers. I think I read the description of the Lost River every April.

Can't think of the name of the guide, but that dude Leland from the east coast put out a solid guide in the not too distant past.

Buy them all.

dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #8
*Bennett book.
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #9
Leadvillian, Colorado
My copy of Soggy Sneakers by Pete Giordano and the Williamette Kayak and Canoe Club (Fourth Edition) came in the mail from Amazon today. I bought it with the Oregon DeLorme Gazetter and the total came to around $30 with shipping. Definitely worth the $ in my book. I must admit, as the previous poster did, that I am a fan of guide BOOKS. There is certainly a lot of beta that can be found on the internet and I'm not luddite and do in fact use it for flows, etc. even on my phone, but you can't replace a book for leaving on the dashboard and having the navigator scope out the next run.

One thing that really works for me in this book is a watershed map. After very little previous travel in Oregon I couldn't get an accurate lay of the land. One 30 sec. glance at the watershed map and I feel a lot more dialed.

Now, the most important thing... how does one pronounce Williamette. My brother-in-law is an Oregon native and he says Will - AH - mette. I was prone to say Will - am - ETTE from reading it. I'd guess he's right
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #10
Seattle, Washington
Yup, the emphasis is on the second syllable, will-AM-ette. Not ah, though. think ham. will-HAM-ette. like gol damn it.

The Falcon guide Paddling Oregon is also good. For the book collectors, any and all of the old John Garren books are good, the oregon one is called Oregon River Tours.

For WA state, Jeff Bennett's guide is the definitive resource. Gary Korb's guide to the Olympic Peninsula is the only thing that covers the many great runs in that part of the start and is a required supplement. The old Doug North books are historically interesting but way out of date and raft focused, not kayak focused.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote