Old 11-29-2007   #11
Independently Wealthy

YO GARY, I just figured out my password etc to log in. So Matt give us your cell phone or email so we can hook up with you and bag some sick stuff. We are looking at getting into the headwaters of the stuff, Gordon has a big Machete and we are eager to break it in. Gordon is bringing his new i- phone so we can contact you if needed. Gary has a shuttle bunny lined up but we can always use more help on that end. We did some Colorado sort of hike your boat to the put in stuff in Mexico and it was pretty rough in the jungles without a machete. Seems like the best bet could be national parks with trail systems or roads that intersect the stuff up high. Let us know what you have been scoping out this could be good for everyone. Scott Young clued me into a few things to look at.

deforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #12
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Matt email me. I've been looking for you. We want to fire it up with you. Yes Forrest from boulder, Gordon Banks and myself.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #13
Leadvillian, Colorado
GaryE - you've got mail

guys you should check out our new CR equivalent to the buzz...

Costa Rica Creeking - Whitewater Forum

pura vida!
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

That was kind of the point,exploration,but you are right it could be time consuming and there is still stuff in Costa Rica. I am not a high skill boater but the hardcore travel part is my thing,I like exploring and run what i can,been walking the back alleys of northern C A and southern Mexico for almost 15 years.There is a dispute between CR and Nic. over the San Juan,so I think the Ticos are prone to malign the area,the closer to the Carribean you get the worse it gets ,I would concede that the Atlantic coast of Nicaragua is super sketchy by all accounts,but the San Juan is being developed into a semi tourist area there are some tours [for lack of a better word] that involve whitewater boating but I doubt it's of he caliber Gary, Forrest ,and Gordo,are looking for.Lonely Planet listed some outfitter that runs trips on some easy stuff and the 'more serious Bartola' and something about Sarnoso Canyon "finally gold mines and rapids together" but the $95 doesn't appeal to me.Like i said they are probably too easy for these guys but there may be sections above with the goods, if there is a town near the river there is probably a trail upstream, or maybe not,in Guatemala there usually is,in Belize usually not,there are goods but it's class 5 bushwhacking especially when they're running at good levels.

I HAVE HEARD NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS ABOUT SMALL WORLD AND ECUADOR!You guys and Boquete are the top of my list for outfitted stuff,do you accomadate boaters passing thru independently or only prearranged package deals?Do you have boats to rent?

The stuff that really sounded cool is in the north there was one place I was reading about with 48 waterfalls some up to 50 meters,could be a huckers park eliminating some logistical hassles,also Cerro Kilambe with it's "profusion of waterfalls",and another wicked canyon I don't care to divulge,but they are time consuming and possibly expensive to reach.The area around Matagalpa,Jinotega,and Esteli has a lot more people and roads so would be more accessible,still might have to shoulder a boat.I will look up some possible sources of more beta and pm you .
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #15
Leadvillian, Colorado
cayo2, you're correct about the border skirmish, it's quite a hot topic around here, no one can figure out why they don't agree to split it down the middle like every other river that's an international boundary. There are some little known CR outfitters that have been running high-end fly fishing on the San Juan for years, but I hadn't picked up a Nica guide book in a while and had no idea there were some up and coming whitewater outfitters in south central Nicaragua. That bodes well. Maybe they are figuring some of the logistics out as we speak. As far as river side trails, down here there are no hard and fast rules... sometimes the drive around a mini-gorge can take 5 or 6 hours with no way to walk around. We'll try and send these boys home with some exploratory photographs that are buzz worthy.
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #16
Broomfield, Colorado Paddling Since: 1996
Tana River in Kenya

I am taking a group to train and race in Kenya. While there we will do a few runs (Class 3-5) on the Upper Tana River. It is about 3 hours drive north of Nairobi near the foot of Mt Kenya, the 2nd highest Mtn in Africa at 17,000 ft.

We will have lots of photos and video journals of our trip for all to look at.

Stay tuned to photos/blogs/videos on both of our websites:
World Paddlesport Foundation and Front Range Paddle Association
FRPA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #17
Denver, Colorado
Finding specific beta,logistics, is damn near impossible,thats why we need to explore!I found some pics of the 48 falls ,they ain't runnable unless you want to up the ante on Stookesberry's 2000 ft. per mile section on super bony stuff!!GOOGLE pictures of Nicaragua waterfalls and you will find mostly nonboatable stuff but some look sweet ,good luck pinpointing where they are. Somebody needs to go on a scouting mission. One thing Forrest said makes sense go to national parks ,they have trails ,tend to be awesome natural areas {duh},and have guides that know the area .Take some pictures of what you do and don't want,it's wierd every time I show some dude they want to keep the pictures so take some to give away.Basically Nicaragua is the hardest country to find beta on in CA,but thats what makes it an adventure,but takes time and effort.
Old 12-08-2007   #18
Denver, Colorado
sounds like a great trip,look forward to hearing about it.

I forgot Ethiopia and Madagascar have some boating,was thinking more of places like Ghana,Gabon,C A R,and Cameroon,virtually unknown whitewater wise.