Old 04-23-2013   #11
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
In late June of 2011 everything ran big briefly. There's an old post somewhere on the buzz... but, we ran the 2nd Black Box of the San Rafael with a peak of 1820cfs, and thankfully it didn't have wood. Then ran Joe's Valley (Lower Seeley / Cottonwood Creek / Straight Canyon / whatever the hell you call that sweet place) at somewhere around 1200 cfs the next morning, and it was portage free. Then hit LF Huntington that afternoon with sweet flows, and not much of a wood problem (maybe 2-3 log portages, but we still ran every slide).

The roadside sections of Huntington Creek have some seriously gross wood that needs to be cleaned and/or pre-scouted.
That was also with record snowpack, too.....

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #12
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
I was trying to plan a boating/climbing trip also, and dug up some historical info to compare to this year. Hopefully someone can tell me if I got the wrong guage/snotel sites.

First, I pulled up the closest snotel sites and got the peak SWE for the last 4 years. Red Pine ridge and mammoth seemed to be the closest sites with several years of data. 2010 and 2012 had similar SWE to 2013 for both sites.
Red Pine Ridge Snotel 2013: 10 SWE, 2012: 10 SWE, 2010: 13 SWE
Mammoth-cottonwood 2013: 14 SWE, 2012: 11 SWE, 2010: 17 SWE

Here is a plot of Joe's Valley reservoir discharge for the last 4 years (attached) from Emery Water Conservancy District: Cottonwood. The highest flow it shows in 2011 is 500 cfs, but Cutch ran it at 1200 cfs and I thought I ran it around 700 cfs, so there might be a better guage?

Either way, flows don't look good, but this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. We are still going climbing, but will probably be taking innertubes instead of kayaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Joes valley flow.png
Views:	57
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	6093  

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote