Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-11-2009   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
any Legit COPPER CANYON trip reports out there

I searched and found 3 specific threads here on the buzz that had no info less one guy said he had details but didn't share them?

I could not find the AW writeup on Barrancas del Cobre
There is minimal info in the mexico ww guide showcasing the "commercial section"

So there are 3 rivers down there in the canyon, only one looks like an easy put in with a road, the others are look to be hike down
Specifically the river from Del Cobre looks to be the steepest and from hiking in the lower reaches there I have seen enormous granite/basalt walls up it.

Below Urique the main river looks like the it gets HUGE in season, I have seen some companies with pictures in this stretch so it gets commercially rafted I assume and they call it class III.

Any idea of flows or how to guage them from my couch? Specifically flows of the upper stretches, while I was there is was about 0.000069cfs. Lookin for next fall launch down there somewhere during monsoons.

thanks for legit links to writeups or Trip reports...

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #2
try this

Not sure if this will help, but I bet if you Get in touch with Rocky Contos, you will get all the info you ever needed.
SierraRios: Kayak & Raft Mexico Rivers

action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #3
Do a Google search on Rocky Contos. He's into running everything in Mexico.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #4
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Yes, Rocky is you best contact. My memory and time to help you is limited at the moment. Briefly, I can tell you that Zirkelbach, Keagan, and I did the FD of the upper Rio Urique in the late '80s. The shuttle is pretty challenging. The banditos were totally in a rage throughout the canyon and its rim at the time. And the boating was certainly class V/+ much of the time. Lower water is recommended. We did our trip betwenn x-mas and New Years day It was 6 days on the river and at least a couple of portages, but tried to stay in the water to avoid the banditos that were robbing, raping, or murdering everyone they encountered in the canyon. It was a great adventure and we barely managed to avoid numerous debacles in the entirety of they expedition.

I believe that Rocky and others have since explored the area and Rocky has an excellent website with everything you need to know probably.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote

barrancas del cobre, copper canyon, exploratory, international