Old 04-14-2008   #1
White Water, Nebraska
Paddling Since: 1998
Any kayak instructors still in Fort Collins?

I was looking the Mountain Shop website and it looked like they no longer have Kayak instruction. Being a hillybilly, from no waterville I was looking forward to dropping by and getting a guided run. Anybody know if the guys who were working at the Mountain Shop are still in bus. or anybody else in town do private instruction??

rainman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #2
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Hey Rainman,
I do private instruction through Downstream Edge. Check us out at Kayak Instruction, Swiftwater Rescue, Colorado - Downstream Edge . For private instruction in Fort Collins you can contact me directly by email at or private message me through the buzz.

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #3
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I know that Rocky Mountain Adventures (RMA) does kayak classes and instruction. I don't know exactly what they entail, but I do know that you can take a roll class, or even a class on the river with them. They are located in North Fort Collins. I would also check out the other rafting companies like Wanderlust and theres another but I can't think of it now.
MountainManMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #4
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
Stick with Evan

I'd go with Evan. RMA isn't structured what-so-ever... and classes are extremely over priced for the level/care of instruction that is given.

I'm also an ACA certified instructor if you are interested in a lower cost alternative to the major instructional services in Colorado. I'll be in Fort Collins throughout the summer.

Best of luck!

-Mike Konschnik
Mountain Khakis - Built for the Mountain Life
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #5
Briank is the new owner of Poudre River Kayaks and will be running out of the mountain shop this summer. Send him a message on here and I am sure he will be glad to give you a guided trip.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #6
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Private instruction is hands down the best way to go. Both Evan and Mike are good paddlers with patience to make sure you get the most out of your time and money.

I used to be a licensed instructor but I have not taken a refresher course in quite a few years.

PS. How new are you to the sport?

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote