Paddling Since: 2002
What about this:

Down River Equipment

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #12
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Dry barrels

The dry barrels in river catalogs can be found in industrial supply outlets for a bit less $$. They seem to be more popular outside the US, in NZ for instance.

Barrels are sort of a pain to rig, being round & rigid, and lacking tie-down slots. Also, they're not as convenient to pack and use in camp as a York Pack or Box (my first choice for usefulness divided by cost).

It makes sense to look at your boat & frame, and find containers that'll fit without much fuss. Or to build frames that accommodate your favorite gear.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Link to military transport cases (the large size seems about right):
Coleman's Military Surplus, army surplus store

These guys also have some options:

Here is a place selling York Packs:
Canoe and Kayak Padding Specialties - York Pack for CANOEING & KAYAKING

There is also the Wanigan:
More Info About the Wanigan...
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #14
Many times I have used the largest tupperwear you can find. Those lids are watertight and seal super well. Duckt tape the thing shut or duct tape an actual piece of webbing to rig to.

Works decent and is super cheap.
Old 04-19-2007   #15
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Way cheap and maybe dry

Another thing I've seen used are the white plastic buckets with snap-on lids, often used for bulk foods, etc. Some of my IK pals also use them as campstools, which saves packing a folding chair.

A similar goody (perhaps easier to rig) are the squarish buckets in which cat litter is sold, also with snap lids. They seem splashproof– don't know about a flip.

M & M Industries makes a series of heavy duty plastic buckets (called Life Latch) with threaded & gasketed lids, that are used in the Scat Packer toilet systems. Pretty inexpensive from the factory, but they aren't used to dealing with small orders. <www.m-m-industries.com>.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #16
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Storage on a raft is always tight for me. Running a fully loaded Superpuma with an oar rig for overnighters, I am always loaded to the hilt. The boat is great, but small. I have set it up with a AAA flip seat bracket w/ a high back trailer seat for easy acces to the cooler. The boat is only 29 inches wide tube to tube. Thus, a dry box is impractical. I have a 20mm ammo can as dry storage for things that can not get wet. I also use a DRE drop bag under a marine plywood top as a seat w/ foam top. The seat doubles as a table by adding T-bolts to the corners and using conduit w/ bolts welded to it as legs ( have also seen the same using floor flanges and threaded pipe) For additional storage, I use a Rubbermaid Roughneck storage container with closed-cell weatherstrip around the top (would be ideal with an Rubbermaid ActionPacker) and the cam strap the lid down. I have also used 5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal lids. They work, but are hard to rig .
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #17
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Raft box

I found these white boxes at a military surplus store in NM. They are about 37*27 inches O.D. and about 16 inches high. They are made of hard plastic and have 12 dry box latches on them. My friends have them and their's all leak a tiny bit because they are to lazy to go to Home Depot and buy gasket material and spend the hour it would take to fix it.
I got one that is absolutely watertight. It has a purge button to equalize pressure. I packed my mine one after noon in the sun and a the next morning the lid was buckled in from the change in outsie air pressure. The thing is to big from most frames, but with my NRS cat frame it can fit it in.
The only drawback is the seem a little soft to use as a seat unless you put 3/4 plywood on the top to distribute weight. I spent $60 for mine. The lable on it says "Navy Shipping Container, use to send materrial back for repair". The thing is more water tight than a metal/alum box and about $550 cheaped than something comparebly sized. I'll find a picture to post tomorrow.

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #18
Thanks for the ideas. Scott I'd like to see the pictures of the Navy Shipping Container...

rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote