Old 02-13-2006   #1
on your sister, ...
Any ice down around Horsethief/Ruby Canyon?

Anyone been down Horsethief/Ruby recently? Any ice troubles?

Kind of thinking of dusting off the raft and taking a run down it for the 3 day weekend coming up if the weather is good.

tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #2
Paddling Since: 1994
if i had to bet, i would bet on ice. i think it has been plenty cold over there to freeze up. may be a long portage around a big portion of the blackrocks section. a few years ago some guys left 3 of 4 rafts down there for a month or so til the ice cleared.

zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Apparently you call and get info from private pilots that fly out of GJ and Moab. You may be able to get info from the Westwater rangers too. I remember seeing the photos of Todd Sager and Brad Jinks' January trip a couple of years ago. They stashed boats and portaged big ice dams with their smallest raft.

This photo in particular brings to mind the Shackleton Expedition....

I think that they went back and got the boats on Valentine's day and it was all clear.

Here's the trip gallery:

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #4
No Westwater rangers on duty until March, and they don't have phones there to call anyway. The BLM Moab field office might (slightly possible) have some information, but the pilot idea seems to come up every year; maybe that's the best bet.

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #5
on your sister, ...
Thanks. I think it is time for me to seduce some hot NSA gal so she can move one of those fancy satellites onto rivers in Colorado of my choice.

I'll let you know what I find out. Hopefully a non shackelton-esque trip. If if looks dicey I'll probably just do some hiking around Moab.
Old 02-14-2006   #6
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yo, I'd bet a lot of money on ice. I've never been down ruby/horsethief, but attempted to do westwater on dec 20th. You can read about that under the trip planning section of the buzz. Also, I drove to GJ last weekend and there were many ice bridges in all of the places that don't see much sun. Plan on hiking out if you put in.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #7
on your sister, ...
thanks for the info. guess i'll wait til march.
Old 02-14-2006   #8
G.J., CO
Paddling Since: 1990
Ruby Horsethief

I was on the river last weekend through Grand Junction and there was no ice in the river. The only place that I saw ice was on the south side of the river along the cliffs. I wouldn't think that there is any ice all the way across the river except for down in Westwater. It's been in the forties during the day around here.
Eddy Groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #9
on your sister, ...
eh, the weather forecast has gone to hell anyway. more
Old 02-15-2006   #10
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
ICE????????? HAHAHAHAHA, ya right, no ice here. Been nice and warm almost all week, last weekend was down near the loma launch and it was nice, even went wading, not that bad. Storms building tonight, so watch the temps, but I wouldn't worry bout ice, we havent had snow in the valley for over a week. Ill update for this weekend if you really want to know. Thats for the ruby/horsetheif section, I dont know about westwater.

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote