Old 03-31-2016   #1
Professional Transient, See above.
Any have a dead Dagger kayak laying around?

I picked up a used Dagger Green Boat, and I'd love to add a grab loop just in front of the cockpit where the bulkhead mounts for securely mounting it to roof of the car. I always prefer 2 straps, where if one breaks, the kayak doesn't become a projectile.

Screws are already there in the hull (center to center roughly 5 ⅜" apart) for the bulkhead mount. Plastic hull is convex here, so a straight bar across won't work. It has to be curved away from the hull. Not sure why they didn't include a grab loop here already.

Anyone have a dead dagger kayak with a metal grab loop they'd feel like donating (the grab loop, not the kayak)? Does anyone know if the standard Dagger grab loop would mount here without modifications? Has anyone done this?

I could just bolt a piece of webbing in if the metal grab loop doesn't work, though would prefer to not have webbing on webbing when this thing is strapped down.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I run straps through the drain holes. You're saying you run a strap in the front & back of the cockpit and want both your straps to go through a grab loop though?

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #3
Professional Transient, See above.

I run two straps over the boat- one through the rear drain holes, and one over the front of the cockpit. I want something in place that if the rear strap fails, then the front strap is attached to something solid, so that boat can't leave the car.

On most boats, each of these two strap goes through an individual grab loop near the cockpit (one in front of the cockpit, and one behind the cockpit). I run the rear strap over the back of the cockpit and a rear grab loop. I run the front strap over the front of the cockpit and a grab loop in front of the cockpit. However, the front of the Green boat has no conveniently accessible grab loop in front of the cockpit. The drain holes in the back serve in place of grab loops near the rear of the cockpit.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #4
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Now there is someone who has lost a boat. You probably should add bow and stern tie. Ya know.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
If you go the webbing route, just use a biner between the strap and the boat. Webbing on metal. And quick and easy. Leave the finer on the strap. If you have a friend who's a climber, they may have a dropped locking g biker that will serve nicely. Or just buy a cheap one.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote