Old 06-18-2012   #1
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Any fishing on Deso?

Putting in on Sunday. One of the folks from Oregon is wondering if there is anything to fish for on Deso. Anybody ever had any luck on the Green?

Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #2
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
At mile 54 there is Rock creek, supposed to have great fly fishing. I've tried it twice and had no luck, but I'm a rank amateur at fly fishin. The main river most likely only has cat fish?
Good luck

dhub is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
cat fish, suckers main channel, rock creek not really worth the effort. I would not waste the cost of a license and I love to fish. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Catfish and suckers for sure, some carp. Check the regs and see if you even need a fishing license for those. Some states do not require a license for non-game fish.
Preston H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #5
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
The catfish fishing was actually quite fun. I think there was a limit to how many you are supposed to eat, but we just put them all back. It's so fun so see their little whiskers come up when there's something in the water. The kids had a blast fishing for them, but have pliers so you don't hurt yourself getting them off.
If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #6
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
There are MANY catfish in the main channel. In the upper canyon they'll be small but those that are big enough to skin (8-10") are good eating with a little tobasco or bacon. You might occassionally get one bigger, but not more than a pound or so and usually only half that. Down in Grey Canyon there are some deeper holes and bigger fish. In the upper canyon nightcrawlers on short-shank #10 hooks with slip-egg sinkers work best, but they'll take lunchmeat, cheese, whatever. In the big deep holes I hear mice work well. Catfishing is great for the kids. We had a contest and the winner caught five (5) fish on one (1/3) of one nightcrawler before having to re-bait. If you find a school you'll be hauling them in right and left.

There are small trout in Rock Creek. My buddy caught 3 a couple weeks ago in under an hour. But they are small. Creek's not big enough to support larger fish.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #7
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
We tried like hell to catch a slurping eddie cat on a fly rod... no luck
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #8
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Several years ago caught several very small cats on a dry fly in the main channel. The fly was an Adams maybe? I don't remember. They were small but fun. If I did it again, I would do it with a very small rod, a 2 wt or 1 wt if I had them, which I don't. Length was unimportant as well. This was in late July, FWIW.
Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #9
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
I caught a bunch of small cats in deso with lunchmeat on a safety pin tied to dental floss. clove hitched the dental floss to a stick to use as weight to throw it. redneck improvising at its finest.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #10
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
They are correct about the catfish. Plenty of them for the taking on bait and even lures in the big eddys throughout the canyons.

About the "junk" fish, be aware that the Colorado pikeminnow, bony tail and humpback chub are all endangered species and if caught, should be returned to the water as quickly as possible.

openboat is offline   Reply With Quote