Old 06-25-2010   #1
Any entry level creeks still running?

Hey folks,

Got stoked a couple days ago to hit clear creek ark, did the mini scout, checked the gauge and I'm too late. I'ld really like to check out some creeks, any suggestions this late in the season? I've probably been down Gore about 8-10 times in the last few years (most of my paddling partners seem to be commercial guides) but haven't gotten to branch out much. Is big south manageable with some portaging? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, I live in Dillon, anybody want to boat? I wait tables so I've got a ton of time to paddle, but most of my friends up here max out at 3-4ish.

mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
id say stay away from big south this season and try and get bailey or something along the lines of that.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #3
dropzone, Colorado
Lower South Boulder creek -- it is pretty low but still runnable. make sure to be heads up for the named drops (portaging at least the 2nd two) moist slot, brain, bridge drop -- all easily located based on descriptions but be especially careful about the brain because you could accidentally float into it.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Upper East is a decent beginner creek, the Slate (minus Wicked Wanda), and IMO first gorge Lime at low water really isn't that hard. Third Gorge Lime (Cascade) is low -stress as well. Gore at levels above 900 are probably more dangerous than those creeks, IMO. Bailey is a good suggestion too.

The Big South is manageable with a LOT of portaging. Bailing out at Peterson cuts out a significant numbers of portages, so that might be an option if you have some folk to guide you down to that point.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #5
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Mike, what kind of level are you looking for? Intro creeking could be kind of a broad thing I think. I work in Breck & would be happy to run just about anything around here with you. There are a couple runs over in CCC that would qualify, not sure if one of them is clean or not. (anybody been down lower West Fork this year?)

Have you been down all the 10 mile stretches? That's all pretty intro, nothing serious anywhere but lots of boogie.
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #6
WWPR, Vish. I have ran from Occifers Gulch down at like 400 and 900, no problems. I've been in clear creek a little, ran Dumont once and the town run a shit ton. I've done the 2 drops below kermits but have never made it to black rocks. All in all I'm pretty comfortable in class 4, numbers from 450 to 3000 is pretty easy, I rarely get off line or flipped but I know its a different game from the smaller harder stuff. I'ld definitely be down to go boating some time.

Thanks for the replies all.
mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #7
dropzone, Colorado
^^^ based on the above, I'd strongly recommend giving Black Rock a try. Its on the way down, at great flows, and is generally IV+/V-, with Rigo being V at this level. Creeky moves, boofs, small eddies, awesomeness. Remember that you can make any run practice for creeking by doing hard ferries, catching micro eddies, and boofing everything (that's good to boof). Have fun!
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #8
Lakewood, Colorado
How does Blackrock compare to Boulder Creek from Fourmile down?
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #9
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Black Rock and Lower Boulder Creek are 2 different animals. BR is a little bigger, longer, and has more defined rapids. I would say a little step up but not a big one. There are more moves to make BR but they are not that difficult.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yep, get lots of black rock laps in. Bailey. Maybe spencer heights and the middle narrows of the poudre.

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote