Old 09-08-2005   #11
I want to echo the previous poster who says your actual start-up costs will be higher than projected. Of course this isn't always true but it is a very safe bet.

johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #12
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
+1 to what Alex said. I was in the OR industry in guiding and then retail managment for six years -- most outdoor retail people don't know jack about running a business (yes, that is part of why I got out - the owner and VP of our six stores were ludicrous). If you want to suceed in business partner with or at least get mentored by someone who understands business and then listen to them when they tell you there is a better way.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #13
Thanks all for the Advise! It is much appreciated. Definitely some good points out there. What I'm really in search of is someone that has taken an idea and turned it into a lucrative business.
I have been working in the outdoor business and recreation realm for the last 10 years, and Im finally over dealing with bullshit and designing programs and business ideas that I don't reap the benifits for.
Like I said before the business that I am starting is a win-win for everyone involved...Athletes, retailers, the sports we pursue and the of course myself, because I get to give back to the communities that have given me so much.
Please keep the flow if information coming, and if any of you have started a grass roots company and turned it into a success, or know someone who has it would be great to talk with you. I'll keep you all posted when the product goes to market!

bfelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #14

Don't get high off your own supply!
jerrycurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #15
Way to go on the ideas, that's where it all starts! There's a book by Michael Gerber called the "E-Myth Revisted" which I highly recommend. He made the phrase of "working on your business not in your business" famous. You have to realize, and it seems that you do since you've asked the question, that doing is not the same as designing. I'm currently reading a more in depth book by Gerber called "E-myth Mastery", in my opinion invaluable. The most important thing to remember is to focus your efforts on revenue, i.e. marketing and sales. If you've got cash coming in everything else can follow. No cash coming equals not being able to pay the bills, not paying the bills equals going out of business. I agree that infrastructure, systems, financial strategy is important, but not as important as cash flow and from that most importantly profit. Being an entrepreneur means being a leader, of yourself and others, and a lot of the times you're going to feel alone. Don't be afraid to trust your gut after you've researched everything. Shoot me an e-mail if you want to, I'm happy to answer questions. Best of luck to ya!

dasunluva is offline   Reply With Quote