Old 06-12-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Any Colorado duckyists out here?

I know, you're gonna start giving me shit about how I need to get a real boat. In any case, I'm gonna be in Colorado in late June and early July and would love to hook up with some folks out there. I'm comfortable in Class III+ water in terms of skill level.

tmcdevit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #2
Golden, Colorado
You could probably give our local duckyists some tips.

I saw a few getting ready to put on lower Clear Creek about a week ago. They took the boat out of the wrapper in a brand-new box and blew it up. They were both wearing swim trunks and I didn't see any stuff like helmets, neoprene, or throw bags. They were using canoe paddles. They were getting ready to paddle some ice-cold class IV.

I saw them floating upright downstream of the significant rapids when I was driving home after my run so I think they are still alive.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i rally the duckie about 80% of the time im in the water. i have a hardshell but due to a destroyed left wing i only use it at low water so I just IK it up most of the time. but i take the same gear i would kayaking, the only thing different is no spray skirt.

i cruise up to IVish in my little xk1, i havent taken it down any V's.......yet.

im in gunnison so if youre in the area give me a holler and "we can go kayaking.....because thats what kayakers do".
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #4
Denver, Colorado

I've rafted Clear Creek and I think it might be a bit much for me. Maybe if I had raft support on some stretches. No, I was thinking Brown's Canyon and Shoshone, possibly some other stretches I don't know about, if someone has some suggestions. They should be at more reasonable flows by late June. I would also be happy to go with some kayakers, so hit me up. I'm mainly going to Denver to visit family, but none of them paddle. I live in Austin and it's been dry all year, so it's been a terrible year.
Old 06-12-2008   #5
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Ducks gone wild

The crux for ducks is water levels that late in the season. But the Poudre might still be good this year. You could definitely have fun with Filter Plant and Bridges.

Northgate Canyon (on the North Platte near the border with Wyoming) can be a good II+-III duck run from about 500 cfs to 1500. At the lower end, you have to dodge lots of rocks. But it's gorgeous. You can carry out at Six Mile Gap (a half-day down, easy shuttle) or continue in easier water to take-outs at Treasure Island (2 days) or Saratoga (3 days at low water).

I paddle a Jack's Pack Cat and have done lots of self-support. Also ran a Fat Pack Cat through the Grand Canyon: five swims and quite a few sneak lines. But no whining.

Drop a line (via PM) when you're heading this way.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #6
Denver, Colorado
How many of you guys can paddle on weekdays?

I will definitely PM both you guys when it gets closer to my arrival. At the moment it's looking like maybe the 20-27 of June is when I'll be in the area. The other pain in the arse of being on vacation is that all you worker bees have jobs during the week. Can any of you paddle on weekdays?
Old 06-14-2008   #7
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
No worker bee, jack—

As a self-employed anarchist writer I resent that.

More to the point, I'm free to boat on weekdays. If you want to link trips, you could do some runs on the Poudre, then drive on up the canyon. through Walden, and north to the Routt put-in on the North Platte. I'm busy June 21-23. Good to go after that on Northgate or farther along the North Platte.

Not as much closely-spaced fun stuff as the Poudre, but it's also wilder: no bridges or traffic. If you dump and lose your boat, you can't hitch a ride.

If you need a bivy and shower there's a back way from Poudre to Platte— my place is halfway between, near Woods Landing.

PM for details.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #8
Denver, Colorado
Thanks, I'll be in touch

Maybe we can do something 24th or 25th? I'll PM and we can talk about what stretches would be best. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2008   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Poudre and the Arkansas are good suggestions,Foxton/Waterton 3 to 4- are great ducky runs 45 minutes from Denver,one or both will be running . I ducky and kayak and can go on weekdays,self me i boat alone alot ,could use the company.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #10
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
my wife duckies, but you cant paddle with her...

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote