Old 04-17-2005   #1
Any boating in the SLC area.

In Salt Lake working for the week. Any boating around here. Play waves or anything of the sort?

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #2
Along the same line, I will be in Logan UT for work about once a month for the next two or three months. I've heard there is some boating on Logan Creek - any beta? How about shops out there? Anyone know if there is someplace in Logan where I can rent a boat if I decide to stick around for a day or two?

westfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #3
Ryan, there is a park in ogden and one in evanston wy. Don't know much about either ie if they are running or not. But neither is too far from slc. If you have a day you can drive up to jackson and run the snake, it is sort of running, I might be there saturday if you are still around or coming back. Drop me a line if you are. Have fun.
Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #4
student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
i used to live in park city and the the green river wy. park was about 1.5 hrs away on I-80~ 3 holes. the bottom one rocks! The upper one is harder to find but great too. i think the flows are really good right now too. it's totally worth the drive from slc if it's 1000cfs or better. spins, wheels, loops..NO Crowds! check wy flows, green river at green river. awesome park and play.
chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #5
Salt Lake City, Utah

Things are actually looking pretty good here for boating right now. The play parks in odgen have water and I've heard are fun. Generally they are holes not waves. They are located on the odgen and weber rivers

The odgen has a sweet class 4-4+ run right at the canyon mouth called the narrows its a short jam but fun and continuous that is easy to run laps on. Just below that is a class 3 play run that has some play features(Dinosaur Park)

The Weber has a class 3 run thats fun from henefer to taggert, its got a few smaller play spots and some ok boulder gardens.

Downstream from (10 miles or so) is Scrambled eggs bend class 4-4+, 5 at high flows. Short jam but fun and you can run laps on.

Down stream from this is the play park, its located in odgen. I don't play boat much but I'guess its probably the best right now, 3 or 4 features. fun

All these have good flows right now as they are releasing to get ready for the run off. Most our drainages are at 100-150%, with the virgin drainage still over 200%.

There are other fun runs within the state that mostly haven't run in a long time because of the drought. Its hard to gauge the run off because we really haven't had one in a long time.

If your driving out via Grand Junction runs to keep your eye on are the Price, San Rafel, Cottenwood Creek, Fremont, Huntington creek. They haven't got going but probably within a month or so. Theres also a pretty sweet park and huck(steep 1/4 mile section) on Sixth water,located on interstate 6 as you drive though spanish fork canyon. Its about an hour off the road, but would be fun to break up the drive and runs all year.

Shops in town are

Wasatch Touring(SLC)
Sid's sports(SLC)
Peak experience (in PC)
I believe there is a store in odgen, where you could rent...???

Good luck

smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #6
Logan River

I grew up in Logan and started boating back in 1985. There are a couple of options on the Logan River. For playboating, there is a pretty good hole on Canyon Road below first dam. You can put in about 1/2 a mile below the dam or at a pull off next to the hole (actually the hole is formed by an old low head dam that has the center concrete removed). There is another pretty good feature below a car bridge at the entrance to Thurshwood and Sumac drives. In terms of creeking, the section in Logan Canyon from second dam to first dam is tight, technical, willow-tree-face-slapping Class IV-V. The section just above the water treatment plant is fairly stout. A good book for the area is Gary Nichols' Guide to Utah Rivers. Lastly, you will be about three hours from the Snake River in Jackson Hole and the Murtaugh section of the Snake near Twin Falls.

I hope this helps.
B.I.G.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #7
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Power plant

Hey how come nobody plays at the UPI plant at the mouth of WEber Canyon any more? You can get more vertical out of it than at the Ogden park? Is it illegal now?
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #8
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Power plant

Hey how come nobody plays at the UPI plant at the mouth of WEber Canyon any more? You can get more vertical out of it than at the Ogden park? Is it illegal now?

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote