Old 06-13-2005   #21
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I wear my glasses on the river(i 'm all about the low maintenance not sticking your fingers in your eyes thing) and Chums are the most reliable glasses retaining things around (besides not wearing them at all) as long as the earpieces aren't too skinny they are the goods. i did break a pair of glasses at the put in cuz i forgot to take them off before putting my paddle top on.... so i kicked the extra dough for the unbreakable flexon frames, and (plastic) sports lens. i have gotten used to looking in between the water drops. although having to splash yourself is usually a nice little cold shock, it sure sucks when water quality is a issue, like when we paddled the santa fe river through downtown S.F. in an april snowstorm... and my glasses kept fogging.
us river guides down here in (new) Mexico have a theory though-
" drink AT LEAST one shot of tequila after swallowing a bunch river and you should be alright. or lots of tecate if you don't have tekillya...."

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #22
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
In addition to being really blind (20/400 in my good eye), I have the opposite of astigmatism (I forget the term, but one eye floats up) so I can't wear contacts without that being a problem.

I was really hoping that goggles would be the answer, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread speak of them being effective.

Does anyone know of anyone else who uses goggles and is happy with the vision improvements?

I would like to hear of people's good/bad experiences with goggles, if there are any. Meanwhile, maybe I need to look into Lasik.

heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005   #23
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
on boatertalk there is a link to Seaspecs- ( which were designed to stay on while surfing, but kayakers and all kinds of others seem to be using them successfully. they offer one model w/ Rx lenses for @ $200.... i have been thinking about getting some, but i haven't cause i also am pretty much ready to go under the laser rather than spend more money on stupid Rx glasses. (except it still sounds Scary!!!)
In albuquerque, (NM) there is a doctor named Coleman ( and he is supposed to be one of the best in the country, that teaches the other surgeons how to do it and is twice as expensive as other lasix - $2000 per eye instead of $1000- but the reason why that is good, is that he has a lifetime gurantee if your perscription changes, free adjustments...lasix doesn't (i presume)... and you probably know that when your eyes are already bad they don't get better every year, they get worse. besides if i get that surgery i wouldn't want some joe shmoe opthalmoligist pointing circa 1995 star wars era lasers at my eyes! the catch is that there is some stigmatisms that are inoperable,or unfixable, so you'd (and me too, 'cept its only 60+ miles instead of 300) have to go for an appointment just to see if he can hook it up.
and its 4 grand.
so yeah goggles, $5.00 at big five...
actually i would just get chums and rock your Rx glasses. it still works for me. (but they are flexon frames.)
good luck... SYOTR... ...maybe
(ha ha).

abron is offline   Reply With Quote