Old 06-08-2005   #11
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Prescription Oakley's. Without a doubt the highest grade stuff to get on the river. Lenses will never break and cut the shit out of you like the other ones will.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #12
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Didn't Kareem Abdul Jabbar wear sports goggles on the court?

Why doesn't your friend just wear those? I know tons of peeps who wear prescription sports goggles w/the elastic band around. We wear nose plugs and skirts - what's a pair of sports goggles going to change?

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #13
ski/kayak bum
water goggles (like for swimming) I can understand but I cant imagine having to replace or depending on a pair sunglasses or sports goggles to stay on my face when I roll or submerge. sounds expensive especially when playboating.
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #14
the swim goggles don't really work, comfotably. The create a suction around your eys which is fine underwater where the pressure balances, but out of water they feel like your eyes are getting pulled outta your head.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #15
I wear my normal glasses when I boat. I attach the common bands that go around my head and under my helmet and they never come off.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #16
I wear contacts on the river & sunglasses to prevent direct splashing. I prefer polarized sunglasses so I don't have problems with shadows and miss holes. I have maybe lost only one or two contact on the river. Camping along the river is wher I ususally loose more.
jj_luv2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #17
Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I wear them as well. I only lost one contact in about 6 years. The biggest issue other folks with contacts complain about is when the water get's real splashy the contacts tend to float around in your eye. Usually in the middle of a rapid, blink hard a few times and it helps. Don't open your eyes underwater because the river grit tends to get between the lens and your eye, you don't want to see the rock your gonna hit anyways. . Always bring some extras in your vest or drybag just in case. A friend got some oakley wire frames with lenses that darken in the sun. It helped him a bunch. I don't like sungalsses becasue then tend to fog, but was recommended by my eye doctor.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro" -HST
PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #18
Rigid/Gas Permeable Lenses Rock!

I wear gas permeable lenses & as they are expensive, I thought I would try disposable on the river to reduce the cost if I lost a lens. Well, without fail, every time I would roll, one of the soft lenses would slip off to the side of my eye.

So I went back to the gas perm and have never had a problem with them shifting during a roll or when they got wet - I do keep my eyes closed underwater. They are better for your eyes as well - try them out!
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #19
Thanks for the information... I will be sure to get it to my friend. Happy boating and be safe.
J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #20
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
In the past I have worn the Night and Day contacts. I lost several on the river and never really liked paddling with them. Now I just wear an old pair of glasses with a teather to be sure I do not lose them. The theather is loose, but it's extremely rare that I've needed it. I've been through some pretty good class IV thashings and my glasses stayed right where they should be. There is a bit of a fogging problem on cloudy days in cold water, but a quick splash to the face clears that up. Water spots on the lenses can be annoying, but not as bad as trying to recenter a contact that has fushed under your eyelid just before the crux move of whatever you're running. Yeah, boating with vision problems is a hassle, but it's still better than not boating at all.

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is offline   Reply With Quote