Old 09-08-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
Another Upper C?

I am just looking to get the boat back on the water before the season is over. I'm still fairly new to CO and have read all the threads I could on the UpperC but have a couple extra. Is it possible to launch at Pumphouse at about 3 tomorrow, overnight somewhere, go fishing, take-out at radium or Rancho DelRio, and then ride a bike back up to get the car? Is there a road or trail that I can ride on to get back up to Pumphouse? Is there a better stretch to do with that in mind? How safe would it be to leave a boat for that long while I ride back to the car? From everything I read it looks like this is a pretty easy stretch for an intermediate boater in a 14' Cat.

Geoff773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #2
Yes, yes, yes, take out at del rancho (not much camping above radium), questionable on leaving the boat. Bring the cross bike. Or do it on a weekend and hitch a shuttle.

mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #3
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I agree too. Easy stretch, good fishing/camping, dirt road you could bike or hitch hike. Would rather not leave a boat unattended there, but maybe you could figure something out, or ask/pay someone to keep an eye on it for you.

Rancho runs a shuttle service as well, but not sure how it works.

P.S. Try Colorado River Guides too, you might be able to pay someone there to shuttle you or your vehicle.
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #4
Edwards, Colorado
Nice camp spot called Cabin a bit below the hot springs river right. Cottonwood river left just below that. Trains will rattle you awake. Rancho shuttle has been flawless for me all summer and for $30 it beats the risk of leaving your boat and gear exposed. Oars and other gear have gone missing from Pumphouse and Raduim this summer.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
Rancho it is. Good point on the shuttle. My dog is a menace when left alone tied to the boat, but if somebody snagged anything off the boat it would probably cost more than the shuttle and I would be the dumb#** who deserved it.
From here on out, what are the options for fall/winter boating in the area? Is it limited to the Colorado and maybe the Green as long as there is no ice? Or is the nearest option the West coast winter rain storms? Gloomy as hell out there but great winter boating.
Thanks again for all the good info.
Geoff773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #6
Pumphouse to State Bridge is pretty much to first place people think of to float in the fall, which is why you'll have plenty of company doing it. If you would like an almost-as-pretty section with practically no one on it, think about floating the Colorado below State Bridge. Catamount to Burns is pretty and there's a ice campsite river right on it. Also about six miles below Burns is one of the nicest places to camp on the Colorado at Jack Flats, train noise is not an issue. From Burns south all the way to Dotsero the river is paralleled by the Colorado River Road, so bike shuttling is very possible. Also for a fee you can either camp at or get shuttled by staff at the Thomas Ranch (970-524-1440).
There is onerapid to take note of between Burns and Derby Junction, called either Rodeo or Landslide Rapid depending on who you ask. If you run it hard right it isn't too bad, but the flow will try to take you into the middle where there is a nasty pointed rock. (There's a Hyde dory in there right now that got stuck Saturday, which might there until next May). You can also put in below that rapid in Derby Junction for a smal fee, you can call Glenda at 970-653-4408 for more info.

Jack Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote