Old 06-13-2012   #1
Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
another senseless death.....

Why do we have to keep killing bears that become habituated to human food on the river!? Doesn't it make sense to let the bears live and avoid humans with a safe, effective, low cost alternative to electric fences at each camp or a bullitt and a floating bear carcass in the river? Simply allowing dogs on trips would eliminate the need for over the top ways to "control the bear problem".
Allow dogs, charge user fees for dogs even, ENFORCE leash rules at put ins and take outs and not only would the bear issue be helped it would even give more revenue to the river corridors that we love. Oh yeah, there may be the occasional irresponsible dog owner but IF the river rangers did their jobs that could be cut back dramatically. Worse case, a little dog shit to go with the existing horse shit is a good trade, it seems, versus killing bears and increasing the bear human conflict.
How about it government agencies, wanna actually enforce rules, do your job and reduce bear conflicts? Or simply legislate from the comfort of your field office!?

boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #2
-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Boatmusher, this is reality. We've not met.....

heytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #3
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Put up fences and you decrease bear habitat which is the real killer. If you care that much about bears give them their space by not moving into that dream home in the hills and vacationing where they live.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #4
So, since I don't have a dog, I'll need to purchase one for my next river trip? What do I do with it after the river trip? Will one of those little yappy ones that can fit in my dry box suffice? Their turds are smaller and thus less of an issue when stepped in while walking around camp. Or since I don't have a dog (or want one), must I invest thousands in a battery operated, solar-charged, electric fence to encompass the entire river camp and rafts? Sweet!
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #5
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
No bring little dogs to woods in Idaho. They are a chocking hazzard for our wolves. Please bring big dog for they makie a full meal.. Plus if you get the right dog bread, they will eat thier own s#!t and can be trained to replace your groover. So jennifer, just go ahead and buy one of the "organic groovers" and "recycle" it on your last day...
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #6
OK, if the dog will completely replace a groover, I'm sold! Looking for shit-eating, bear-chasing dog breeds that are recyclable right now! Kind of confused on how to recycle a dog, but they come with a manual right? Or do you mean I just turn it over to the Idaho wolves at the end of the trip?
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #7
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You know what I've never seen dog shit on the river just human shit. So lets leave the river to the dogs and bears.
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #8
Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
We launched on the Gates of Lodore the day after the bear was shot. We were told the bear was a problem bear, and the people who's camp it came into twice had left a messy kitchen and food out. The camp host said that the group took responsibility for the bears repeated visit that ended in the bear being shot.

Just info, not any opinion on this one...other than bears are scary as hell!

GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #9
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
What does that mean "they take responsibility for the bear being shot"? Are they going to raise a new bear and release it to the wild? Are they going to donate to a bear breeding program?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #10
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I guess they should of shot the trip leader instead for not having control of the group!!! or maybe they should of atleast cancelled their permit and sent them packing back to where ever stupid people come from.. Bear visits once and you still leave a messy camp?? I hope they got disciplined some how for their moronic actions..

rehamxela is offline   Reply With Quote