Old 06-23-2008   #31
That is very sad, and my condolences go out to his family and friends. I hope he had a good last day on the river. While its a tragedy I in a way envy him for dying doing something he loved his whole life rather than on some hospital bed some day. I can only hope to be kayaking high water ark trips when I am 70.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #32
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Yeah, great video. Well worth the 4 minutes it takes to sit and watch a youtube all the way through.
Pretty poignant considering the circumstances.
Bump this thread up high, it woudl be a fitting tribute to Mr Beers if this vid got a lot of traffic, he would probably think it was an appropriate memorial.
My kind thoughts to the family...

Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #33
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
From the Arizona Daily Star

Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Mr. Beer was no novice. I will not release any more details of the accident until the authorities choose to, but look at this UTube video, made by Mr. Beer about the changes in kayaking from the 50's to the 60's. It makes you appreciate his paddling ability.
Southern Arizona Paddlers Club Tucson, AZ
Beer's relatives said he was an avid triathalete and competed in many athletic competitions in Tucson. He lived on Mount Lemmon when the Aspen Fire burned down his cabin in 2003. Family members said he was not deterred and rebuilt his home from scratch.
Family members said Beer escaped from Nazi Germany. He moved to Tucson in 1979 and became an American citizen a few years ago.
Beer was a member of the Southern Arizona Paddler's Club, said Chip Arnberg, past president of club.
"(Beer) was kayaking before people knew how kayaking worked. He was doing it when the sport was brand-new and was very good, very competent," Arnberg said. "But there is an inherent risk in it."
He had a wife of 42 years and two sons.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #34
Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
What an amazing man. RIP Mr. Beer, I wish I had the privileged of knowing you. So happy for you that you passed doing what you loved so much. May we all be so fortunate when our time is up.
doloresgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #35
, Colorado
Just his name automatically made him awesome....Mr. Beer.
Boofington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #36
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
very cool

Wow, what an awesome video--I love that old school, pre-anything, adventure seeking ground breaking spirit! Volker is certainly a hero in my book, up there with Hudson Stuck, Sir Hilary, Warren Miller, Obermeyer, etc.! I wish I knew you...

Here's to you sir--may you your adventures never end, and may I and every boater/adventure seeker be a little more like you!

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas