Old 06-30-2011   #1
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1990
another Lochsa fatality

Missoula man dies rafting on Lochsa River

Very sad, second fatality this year. The article has little detail, I expect more information will be released during the day.

Ranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Very sad, even though the media says it was in Lochsa Falls, it sounds like it was really in Split Creek. Too many deaths this year.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #3
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The raft flipped in Lochsa Falls. The man was pulled out by a fellow rafter and a guy named Curtis who works for the Indian tribe. I was taking a pee when I saw him come around a corner and get pulled in face down. My friends above on the pullover thought they were chasing gear. My two guide buddies administered CPR for an hour. It was a 12 foot boat, five passengers--they didn't make the falls--everyone but the victim made it too shore. Even though we had four boats, all 17 feet or longer, that water was very cold, very high, and after that we decided to pack up and go home to CO--we'd just run the main salmon for 8 days. It's a sobering thing to see, makes me want to get in better swimming shape in case I get seperated from the raft in fast current. It also makes me glad I raft with very experienced river savvy friends.
bzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules